Football Season 2023/24

We continue to dream, which is one of the beauties of the championship. In the EFL few teams get to dream and far too many live in fear.

2 Likes

Another great game at Portman Road - such a tough league with so many good teams and a sprinkling of excellent players (Jack Clarke and Kobe Bellingham yesterday).

Town with second string centre mids and no striker found a way to win, played with 3 different false 9s!

Just watched that Watford video about using the G word. Excellent stuff.

Jeez WTF happened to the EFL fit and proper person test!

I think ‘fit & proper’ in EFL terms, means 'unless currently in prison for mass murder '…

3 Likes

Gives me an immense amount of pleasure that the 1st person to fail it owned Chester and was disqualified for nothing football related. Hit a copper. Obviously put a stop to him. Rocked up in Bangor to destroy them and then repeated the truck in Malta.

Good news for Leeds… MOT

1 Like

1 Like

Went to the Bolton v Luon replay. Had planned to go to the Bolton B v Wrexham reserves game earlier as well but that was snowed off. Tremendous cup tie. Neither team could have complained had the other won it. Lots of great individual performances including the once inconsistent Barkley but Adeboyejo for Bolton probably just edged it as MOTM. Evatt has built a team which will almost certainly survive and then thrive in the championship and they’re hitting their stride just at the right moment. It was a pleasure of a game to watch.

2 Likes

Well, there will be a lot less talk of a League & Cup double in Liverpool tonight…

3 Likes

Please explain for the benefit of those of us who live overseas. Do you mean Simon Hooper being named ref in the Carabao Cup game?

No, Norwich are drawn against Liverpool at Anfield in the FA Cup 4th round after we knocked out Bristol Rovers tonight.

Liverpool won’t be booking their Wembley hotel for May just yet.

Given our current financial concerns, we will be looking for a discount bed & breakfast.

2 Likes

Forget the B&B it’ll be a day return!

1 Like

Thanks for the summary Mike; I must admit that I was somewhat perturbed when the Bolton goal went in & there were thoughts of “well, this might be tricky”. We put out a strong side and gave Bolton plenty of respect and it sounded like they really pushed us all the way. Edwards did say that we did have moments where we switched off but just glad to get thru to face Everton next.

2 Likes

I really like Edwards but I don’t understand managers who talk about players switching off. One of the reasons I love our Parky is that he’ll never slam us for switching off. He’ll note that there were things we could have done better but he always precedes that with a note that you go into every game knowing that even when you’re the better team and on top pf your game there will be periods when the opposition dominate and no matter what you do they will always get a chance. What matters is how you handle that. That attitude is a big part of why we repeatedly come back from a couple of goals down or worse and also why we constantly win or hold out with 10 men.

I thought Luton didn’t switch off at all. The crowd got behind Bolton and drove them on for key periods of the game and Luton mostly handled it. I could watch games like that again and again. Proper football. Full blooded; fast; skilful.

2 Likes

My wife will watch any game where there’s a chance of her seeing Rob Edwards.

3 Likes

That’s a fair comment Mike.

1 Like

No trip to Newport for me. Surprise 90th for my aunt and godparent. Assuming the game goes ahead we will need a significant uptick in our performance to score or pick up any points. The fact Parky thinks we need to be more attacking is ludicrous. Our issue away is that we do that too much and are getting caught. Newport are big and physical and with 1,000 extra in their temporary stand I can see the result being the exact reverse of the home game.

Surprised no-one has commented on the new Notts County manager. Some forward planning gone on there in the style of Brighton. It could be a master stroke.

Also disappointed with the lack of Southampton talk. Martin has surprised me. Getting the best out of decent journeymen like Fraser and Adams whilst building an attractive and surprisingly resilient young team. Really enjoying watching their ITV4 highlights.

With 60% possession as the away team West Brom must be wondering how they lost 2-0 today.
The reason is because in Sargent and Rowe we have two of the best strikers in the championship.
Rowe at times looks very special and I hope he is with us until the end of the season, I’ve not seen better than him in the championship this season.

1 Like

Two surprises this morning.

Firstly, there was a large match report in the MOS. The entire Mail group usually ignores us, seemingly even only begrudgingly printing our match results much of the time.

Secondly, the match report said that it was a ‘convincing win’. Can’t recall the last time that’s been said of us.