Football Season 2023/24

You mean that I’ll be staring into the abyss instead?

Brendan must be making you very happy, pal. C’mon St. Johnstone (fun fact for others on this thread: they’re the only team in a senior UK league with a “j” in their name").

Lucky day for us. Only 2 winners in the top 12 and we were 1 of them. Very much against the run of play when we scored. We could actually have been 0-3 down. 2nd half we were much better. Just as well with 3 horrid away games in a row to come. The player many of our fans think “pulls the strings” - George Evans - but who I think is a bit of a “meh” who doesn’t chase back; doesn’t tackle etc. may now be out for many weeks.

Sure enough Parky found a way to not start Luke Young. Jonah gave us the energy and some of the ball winning we’ve been missing but now he’s also picked up an injury it’ll be interesting to see who Parky finds in order to avoid picking his own team captain.

No bias at all on my part as a Gog - I even went to Wembley to support them back in the day - but I’m astonished Cardiff and their manager continue to get such positive press. Every time I’ve seen them this season they d been awful. My friend who holds season tickets for Cardiff and Spurs concurs.

That said, always a good sign when you start racking up goals against poor teams at exactly the right part of the season.

Come on John. Not even a little excited at being in the mix?

As I said it’s a strange season. We are not playing as well as the Buendia, Pukki era but have started getting results.
I enjoyed today’s game but some how it wasn’t as satisfying as other years because this is not a classic championship year.
I’d like to end up meeting Ipswich at Wembley in the play off final as they are the better coached team but we have the better players.

Yet another rash sacking at Sunderland. Beale lasted just 12 games! That short-termism is no way to get the club into the PL. The board are bonkers.

Probably not too long before a player starts for one side, is transferred at half time & finishes the game playing for the other…

On a serious note, I’m not familiar with the situation at Sunderland but this certainly does not sound good for the club &/or it’s supporters.

I’d argue that the bonkers aspect of it was sacking Mowbray in the 1st place. A nice man whose teams play football of the type most fans enjoy and a man with a reputation for developing young talent. When backed with real money, as at WBA, he’s also shown that he can lead a team into the EPL.

Then you have Beale. A fairly abrasive and over-confident individual who preached loyalty at QPR before walking out on them and then managed to fail at a job where even Steven Gerrard succeeded. Anyone who has seen a Beale team will know that bar a few weeks at QPR they lack “identity” and the speed with which he took Sunderland backwards was impressive and predictable.

I believe that the joke doing the rounds already is that Mowbray may need a health break to avoid injuring himself through laughing too much.

When one looks at fit and proper person tests I find it a struggle to understand why just owners are targeted. The boards of Birmingham and Sunderland have made a laughing stock of themselves.

2 Likes

Go on, John, let yourself go. You just might start enjoying your football again!

Best,
C.

2 Likes

Betting there isn’t a Leicester City fan on the planet regretting that their title winning season was a strange one for other clubs.

I do still jump up and go slightly nuts when we score!
It’s just the debt and lost opportunities are difficult to dismiss.

Yup, been doing a lot of that recently at St. Mary’s.

Will miss tomorrow night’s game vs Hull, coz it’s a rearranged game and Sue & I already had tickets for Bill Bailey in Bournemouth!

1 Like

I was hoping Beale would stay at R**gers. Sadly, it was not to be – and now the buggers are ahead of the mighty Celts.

1 Like

Slightly bemused here that the “mighty celts” 2nd choice (after Eddie Howe :face_with_hand_over_mouth:) was one of the most under-rated managers in football and was replaced by Brendan, one of the most over-rated!

I hope Brendan stays at Celtic.

I was one of the eejits who scoffed when Ange was appointed. But in my defence, I didn’t want the return of BR.

Touché, mate.

If you can find me a season when my team wasn’t in debt and didn’t lose opportunities… or indeed any team.

1 Like

It’s the size of the debt that is the problem.
It worries me that people seem to think normal business restraints don’t apply to football until it’s too late.

Football does indeed believe it can ignore financial gravity. I’m not sure that’s a reason to enjoy it any less though. There are clubs with far bigger debts whose fans are having the time of their lives.

Really tasty at the top now. ER should be electric on Friday night. A crucial game for both sides.

2 Likes