Football Season 2023/24

With a little help from their Yorkshire friends, The Mighty Whites managed to remain in second place, with both The Saints and The Tractor Boys games in hand now out of the way.

Hull saw off The Saints 2-1, whilst lowly Rotherham very nearly pulled it off with a 4-3 loss, due to a very late penalty awarded to Ipswich.

It’s all hotting up nicely at the top of The Championship, but I still fancy us to finish second.

M.O.T.

2 Likes

Ex-Ranger Malik Tillman had an interesting game vs Dortmund today. Should have had 3 goals in the first 30, lost possession leading to the Dortmund goal, then didn’t control the ball in the box but the ref gave a penalty regardless, allowing de jong tying the game for PSV. Otherwise a borefest unworthy of this stage of the Champions league. PSV’s left winger Lozano an annoying little s@%$t , Celtic should sign him.

Another fabulous night in the EFL.

Critical wins for Hull And WBA. Ditto for Ipswich. Southampton now hitting a tiny sticky patch as we did recently. Hopefully they come through.

Huge win for Bolton in a must win game. Wouldn’t want to call that top 3.

Same in L2. No idea what the top 7 will look like by game 46. Wimbledon and Morecambe blew their top 7 chance. Stockport wobbled again and we somehow survived a fabulous game at Stadium MK.

Team captain Luke Young - the player our wisest fans deem not good enough for this division - was MOTM by a country mile whilst we got away with absolute murder when Arthur dropped the ball very clearly behind the line and into his own net. Officials failed to give a wholly legit goal. We speed up field and nearly score. Their player gets an entirely understandable red for dissent by making the absolutely legit point that none of the foregoing should have happened.

It appears our luck has turned.

Ridiculous night at Portman Road shows how tough the Championship is. The team now 14 points from safety had Town under the cosh apart from a 20 minute purple patch and 15 mins of control. We couldn’t cope with Rotherham’s high press, continuous long balls and speed of closing down. Even then their last two goals were a keeper howler and a laughable ‘Stroud’ penalty.

1 Like

Maybe a Norwich v Ipswich play off final?

1 Like

Could be John but someone’s going to have to get past the third of the parachute big three to get there.

1 Like

The parachute payments only pay off the premiership contracts, with luck.

1 Like

Well, The Mighty Whites certainly got away with one tonight at Elland Road.

A strangely aimless performance for the first hour, with the attacking players well off the mark, with misplaced passes and missed chances, and not one shot on target.

Step up Connor Roberts, our on loan full back with a tidy goal, and then wee Erchie Gray, the other full back with an absolute belter of a goal … … … yes, I know it took two deflections on the way in, but it was wee Erchie who hit it in the first place.

Finally, Dan James scored a third with his free kick, (and another deflection :roll_eyes:).

Overall, Leicester must be wondering how on earth they came away losing that match, but We Are Leeds, and we don’t care.

M.O.T.

Edit : Man of the Match must surely go to the 36,000 + Leeds fans who sang and shouted their team back into this match for the last 20 minutes or so. :+1:

6 Likes

Congrats Dave, there might be a Leicester wobble yet? Our win last Saturday was certainly in your favour. The double over the league leaders, dead easy !!

1 Like

Hi, @AlanP

Honestly not too bothered about catching Leicester, though it would be nice to finish as champions, more keen to see some daylight between us and Ipswich and Southampton, who will more than likely both win their games tomorrow.

New avatar … … … new Strat?

2 Likes

It’s good for the league if you run them close though :+1:

No new Strat, just a more personalised avatar

Good night

1 Like

I’m bemused that Guardiola and Arteta, with millions of pounds of talent at their disposal, feel compelled to tell their players where to move/stand during play whereas in this match, Farke and his counterpart did not do much of that. An entertaining game, full of errors by all concerned, and preferable to the dull football this week in the Champions league.

1 Like

Just home. Electric atmosphere and a fantastic result. Thought Foxes best team in the first 1/4. Lufc best in the 2/4. We chose tonight of all nights to concede a soft goal whilst missing 3 guilt edged chances ourselves. Foxes fortunate to go in 1 up for me but clearly the best side 2nd half until the subs arrived. Their’s were poor (safety first), ours were exactly what was needed and we gained the ascendency. We scored, they crumbled (isn’t that what happened to them in the EPL?) and we left them looking dejected. Lucky to leave the Kop without injury. Getting too old for this. More of the same please.

5 Likes

Two great games. Leicester once again showing why possession is not all. I’m sure some Leeds fans will now talk of making a title tilt. I suspect the greater significance will be with regard to the slight gap it opens up to the teams below.

Of equal significance is the Coventry result. Preston started the season like a train; came badly off the rails and seem to have rediscovered their mojo at the rught moment. Genuinely didn’t see that result coming though. Might just have put the inconsistent but entertaining Hull team in pole position for a play off place.

1 Like

Definitely preferable to the non-contact ballet of the EPL but arguably why at least 1 of them will struggle next season

Guardiola’s team, even more so than Arteta’s, are unwatchably boring. Unless you like to see automatons playing throttle ball.

2 Likes

Unfortunately our tactical genius changed a winning team against Blackburn and in the end we were by all accounts lucky to come away with a draw.
To keep messing around with selection requires a well coached squad and ours at times appears anything but well coached.
We do however, have some very good players and when they play as well as they did last week why change?
I know Cardiff were very poor but we played our best football of the season. I’m sure players must get frustrated by it.

Perhaps your tactical genius has access to training data from throughout the foregoing week which suggests certain players have under-perforned in training; are carrying injuries or need resting. We’ve had that for about a decade in the National League. I would be increculous if you do not given that your players are visibly wearing the data gathering vests during games that everyone else wears. So, why change? Likely because as a management team they have access to data you simply don’t. It’s no different to pre season. You manage the minutes so everyone gets nearly equal pitch time.

Can you name a successful team in any of the top divisions which repeatedly picks the same team because they won last time out? No, me neither. Football hasn’t been like that for around 4 decades now.

Then you have the small matter of having played 1 game roughly every 4 days for the past month and having the same coming up in April. Pick the same team and your squad will soon succumb to tiredness and injuries.

That’s before you take into account the opposition. They are a team with some really good players and specific strengths. In appointing Eustace they have appointed someone who quietly knows what he’s doing and who will be playing more to those strengths. Perish the thought that your management team picked a team to counter that.

It’s hard to reconcile your being badly coached with moving from 17th to 7th or any of the above.

When you bring in players that are not as good as the player they are replacing it casts doubts over all the stats based systems.
When players are played in another position to the one they played well in the stat based system has further doubt cast upon it.
Despite all the stats and data we suffer a series of hamstring injuries.
Data and stats are useful but should not be the whole story, if it were we might as well do without a coach and let the computer pick the team.
I found stats and data very useful in my working life but they weren’t the whole story.
At the moment I think they are being used as an excuse for poor decisions and poor man management.