Football Season 2023/24

One would have thought that Saturday could go ahead, but my wife read something today along the lines that there were still fires on the site. The question will be whether Hampshire Fire can secure the site well enough to allow the close proximity of several thousand punters. I suppose they’ll have to come to a decision tomorrow afternoon, to avoid SFC and their fans making a fruitless trek south on Saturday.

Tomorrow’s going to be windy too, with easterlies coming off the Itchen.

Sounds like a good day to stay in, stroke the kitties, knit (Sue), play Baldur’s Gate on the PC, and hope that Tesco deliver the groceries! :laughing:

1 Like

Some of us will be putting in a shift, mate. Someone’s got to put ciabatta on the table! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Pleased to say EFL have upheld Norwich’s appeal against Zainz red card.
No more petulance!:crossed_fingers:
Poor refereeing has still cost us three points. However, being positive we are nowhere near being a premiership side.
We have a number of very promising youngsters and I’d rather our new Sporting Director has a clear out and gives youth a chance.

This is Norwich, decision will be reversed again next week & a 10 match ban imposed!

I can’t forget the first season of VAR when an opposition player was sent off at CR & then brought back on by the referee 5 minutes later.

Never seen it happen before or since. I expect you were there?

1 Like

Rangers vs. Benfica (2-2) in Europa League yesterday was entertaining. A draw would be viewed by a neutral as a fair result though we bluenoses feel bit hard done by given an own goal and a dubious var penalty. Nevertheless, a nice contrast to the usual drab fare offered up by the SPFL, not to mention watching competent refereeing for a change. Di Maria may be a gifted player, but his play acting is a disgrace and should have seen red.

1 Like

At every level, at every club, in every country. It makes me sick, and is almost enough to put me off the game.

1 Like

The worst VAR decision was against Manchester Unt. Godfrey was clearly fouled by James in our box and VAR gave a penalty to United. Commentators and everybody else couldn’t believe it.
Worse still, I had to wait in the cold for five minutes before receiving this nonsense!

Lady Luck, in the form of VAR, was certainly not smiling on us that season on numerous occasions.

I think there’s a case for no playacting, no surrounding/berating officials, no claiming throw-ins when you know otherwise… It’s called sportsmanship, and if unilaterally adopted, perhaps the club will get the benefit of the doubt in subsequent marginal decisions. Of course, I could be completely naive.

I occasionally find myself watching old reruns of the Big Match with Brian Moore eg games from the Eighties. While there was a lot more rough play tolerated in those days, I’m always struck by the absence of play-acting.

2 Likes

No doubt you are. But what an improvement all round. No need to go full Corinthian Casuals, but the death of cheating would merit a street party in every town.

Despite my frustrations with the way the club is run I’ve renewed my season ticket. When it comes to football the heart always takes over.

4 Likes

The Mighty Whites had a comfortable win tonight at Hillsborough.

A fairly entertaining game, and The Owls are to be commended for maintaining an open, attacking style of play, rather than packing their defence.

Let’s see what tomorrow’s results with Leicester, Ipswich and Southampton bring, but it’s nice to be in second place, even if it proves only to be overnight.

M.O.T.

2 Likes

All about Ampadu & Rodon tonight I thought. We’ve not seen a pairing like that at ER for some time. Felt a bit hairy in the first half. Second half we should have scored more & Wednesday looked ragged as we stepped on the gas.

2 Likes

The second half might have been different had it not been for the late goal in the first. What though, is with the pink vomit away kit?

I prefer to think of it as being rhubarb and custard … … … very Yorkshire, tha knows. :+1:

5 Likes

I never doubted that you would.

It’s a habit you just can’t break.

Despite only having lived in Norwich for four of my sixty eight years I still find it hard to believe my attachment to the city &, particularly, its’ football team.

Like you, I am sure we would both have liked to see just a little more success over the many years we have followed them.

A period of sustained, stable progress doesn’t seem much to ask for the present.

I comfort myself with the fact that I was at Wembley in 1985 & feel that a further appearance shouldn’t be beyond us but that we are our own worst enemies when it comes to attempting to achieve this.

Should be a comfortable win this afternoon but, as so often, we will probably fall short.

1 Like

Weekend’s shaping up very nicely.

2 Likes