Football Season 2023/24

Ashamed to admit that the win over Ipswich was the only result that I wouldn’t have put money on.

Kings of East Anglia since about 2010. I wouldn’t have put money on that either…

Hurrah!! No foxes were involved.

As a Foxes follower it was nice to see they have at least got a couple of wheels back on the wagon. Plus a big thank you to the Canaries and a mention for Coventry today. :smiley:

Relieved that at last my grandson not only watched Norwich win but that it was Ipswich, joy upon joy!
In truth Ipswich never threatened and as well as scoring a brilliant goal from a free kick we missed two or three good chances.
The Binners were binned!

2 Likes

Just got in and seen today’s scores.

In the early kick off, Norwich won the local derby against The Tractor Boys, presenting The Mighty Whites with a free pass to go top of the division with a win.

Naturally, we didn’t take advantage, losing to Coventry, and dropping to third as blooooody Leicester go sailing past us to the top with a victory against The Brummies.

Oh well, it’s the Leeds way.

M.O.T.

3 Likes

I expect the stats will show we were the best team but in truth we were shocking. Even then Piroe should have levelled with seconds to go. We’re looking jaded & Farke failed to act quick enough when it just wasn’t happening for us. Bamford looks like his race is run, sadly.

2 Likes

It is worth watching the Birmingham goal against Leicester on Sky website. Self inflicted farting about in your own penalty area. Becoming quite common.

They’ve obviously been in the “pi$$ing about in our penalty area” master-class at St Mary’s……

2 Likes

The one criticism we had of Farke was a reluctance to make substitutions early enough for them to affect the game when we were behind. It almost appeared as a case of you got us in this position you get us out. I’m not sure if it’s to do with learning your trade in Germany because Wagner also appears reluctant to introduce substitutes as early as other managers.

2 Likes

If you want to see pi**ing about at the back perfected watch Duffy against Ipswich today. Not good for my blood pressure.
I’m happy bringing the ball out from the back as it retains possession but you need players with good technique to make it work.

Hopefully the Scummers won’t get promoted and Pompey can show them what’s what next season. If that happens it will be fun.

I was there to see it. Deserved winners but not a fluid or impressive performance, as acknowledged by Mousinho after the game. But it was 3 points that mattered. Bolton away next Saturday when we could seal promotion but I suspect it will be settled on the following Tuesday when Pompey are at home to Barnsley. Happily I’ve got tickets for that so very much hoping to enjoy a celebratory evening :crossed_fingers:

A similar tale at Ewood Park for Saints, according to Radio Solent :frowning:

1 Like

I was driving back from QA over the hill while the game was on. If I’d stopped at the viewpoint and had a telescope I could have watched too. The Championship is probably where Pompey belong really, is just a shame that it’s taken so long to get back there.

1 Like

Congrats to Peterborough for winning the EFL trophy today at Wembley. Hope you all had a good day out.

1 Like

Well here we go again. Win or bust tonight. Crawley are the form away team in the division and fighting for a play off place. We need 7 points for promotion and have 4 games to get them but the injuries to wing backs and midfielders are killing us. Crawley play out from the back and try to score early so we’ll need a full on high press from the off but do we have the personnel available to do that?

Wrexham fans will not need reminding of the end to 76/77. This is a much poorer team than that one. Given the other games tonight and our remaining 3 games it’s hard to see how anything other than a win will do.

At present I’m not feeling it.

Hope you have a good night tonight

1 Like

There’s a report on the Southampton local paper’s website that says it has been reported (ie. by another media organisation) that Brighton have held preliminary talks with Martin on the basis that De Zerbi could be off to Merseyside.

Blimey!

Meanwhile we are at home to Cov this evening. I will have half an ear on BBC Radio Solent.

Edit: Of course, they will be talking to loads of people but even so, Russell Martin!

A mistake for Liverpool I suspect if true.

Just been looking at the fixtures from Championship down and, to be fair, a huge night ahead for a lot of teams.

I’m setting off around 1pm and can only hope the weather forecast is correct and the storms are replaced by sun and wind later in the day. I would imagine a fair few games are at risk.

1 Like

Can’t see Liverpool going for him. The top 4 clubs generally go with someone with a bit of a track record.

Go with the left field up-and-coming option, and it can go south very quick (witness Potter at Chelsea, albeit myriad reasons for that one).

DZB’s latest comments seem to be a bit more Brighton centric, so confident we’ll have him next year. If he can get us to a cup final next year, I think then he’ll be more likely to go.

I’m generally 97.83% wrong on my football predictions , so expect to see Martin at the Amex next season :joy::joy:

2 Likes