Football Season 2023/24

I’d rather it was Ipswich!:smile:

I think any of the top teams in the championship this year will come straight back unless a fortune is spent correctly. The gulf between premiership and championship increases each year.
It’s a bit catch 22 because if you don’t go straight back the debt usually increases.
It makes Brentford’s performance in recent times all the more remarkable.

1 Like

I don’t see that any team at the top of the Championship could ever be EPL ready. It’s an entirely different level/style of football so, finance permitting, you either do the expensive rebuild thing and pray or spend nothing so that your season doesn’t destroy you for the next decade.

My mate with a QPR season ticket is not unhappy tonight. Had their post Christmas form been replicated before that they’d be in the top 4 and their form since Christmas is top 10. Interesting though that the Graun approach was less on congratulating Leicester than publishing an article, a bit like a celebrity obituary, that had been written some time back basically saying “okay what’s the punishment going to be?”.

1 Like

Just hope QPR can keep Marti Cifuentes. Great result.

1 Like

The issue is the scale of squad building required, the style of play and the manager involved & the supporting infrastructure. Which teams are in the EPL when you join also matters.

Why, just out of interest would anyone congratulate a club which on the face of it has broken both EPL and Championship rules, a club which also broke the rules the last time they were promoted from memory. Depends on personal values I guess.

After Saints’ 5-0 loss away at Leicester in the week, Neil Warnock suggested that the manager forgets about training and takes them all out for a Chinese.

A poster on the local paper’s website has imagined the scene: ‘I can see the squad just passing the menu around for 90 minutes, then walking out without ordering anything.’

2 Likes

As I understand it, the financial rules pretty much stop smaller and even medium size clubs competing with the bid guys in the PL. Ask Forest, Newcastle etc
I read that even though Newcastle have plenty of money they may have to sell players. The rules were invented to try and prevent an Independent Regulator from being forced on them. The big clubs are the beneficiaries, as usual. Level playing field?. More like a very steep slope.

1 Like

Once again we did our best to avoid the play offs.
Brilliant goal from Sara together with a pin point cross to Sargent’s head ensured we held on to a point.
Some dubious substitutions ensured we were a long way off three points.
To have any hope of holding on to Sara next year we need to get promoted!
Despite our desperate need to beat Hull to the play offs I can’t bring myself to cheer for the Binners later on.:smile:

I would hope that the team and management would be congratulated. The financial model remains unsustainable whichever way we dress it up.

According to Premier league table Spurs played only 32 games but there is no other team with 32 games, how does this work…?

At Selhurst Park this afternoon where the Palace Women’s team have just won the Championship League and so for the first time are promoted to the Women’s Super League. Well done to Laura Kaminski and the team

COYP

4 Likes

I saw them against Chelsea at the Kingsmeadow in the cup. They looked like a decent side and have proven to be with getting promoted. Congratulations :clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

You’ll be wanting the joy of the Premier League thread. All mathematical skills here have likely been exhausted by the many permutations of promotion and relegation across the EFL.

I see Attanasio and Norfolk Holdings have moved from 15% to 40% and anre effectively now a joint owner. This will be interesting. He’s not a radical change person but clearly there will be some change.

Also interesting to see the FL Paper describe Barnes as “influential” whilst noting that he’s been carrying an achilles injury for weeks and now has a calf strain on top.

The good part of the Attanasio deal is that he should be in a better position to manage our debt and improve the way the club run. It’ll be interesting to say the least but something had to be done.
Regarding Barnes myths once raised often get repeated.
He lasted fifteen minutes yesterday, having come on as sub. In the meantime we lost all momentum because to facilitate his arrival the brilliant Sara was moved deeper making him less of a threat.

1 Like

Congrats to that old buqqer Jaime V., who can still knock ’em in at 37!

(Wish he was playing for us!)

3 Likes

Still trying to figure out what the message was when he whumped the ball into the net from no distance at all. What on earth was that about?

He’s another one of those players who came into the game late and fully appreciates what it’s given to him.
Pity every player doesn’t have to go through a couple of years in non league before the big time.

2 Likes

This is my favourite Vardy goal. Against Liverpool.
I remember Klopp being asked after the game what he thought when that goal went in. He said he felt like clapping.

5 Likes

The Tractor Boys visit Coventry City tonight for their game in hand over The Mighty Whites.

All Sky Blues Are We, innit.

M.O.T.

4 Likes