Football Season 2023/24

Tractor Boys nearly there. What a fabulous season they’ve had having only been promoted to the Championship in 22/23.

3 Likes

Nah, what we need on Saturday is a “training day” low key draw. No injuries, no bookings….and see you at Wembley. :laughing:

1 Like

Coventry had a proper go tonight against Ipswich, but couldn’t manage the result which would have allowed The Mighty Whites to sidestep the playoffs.

Respect to The Tractor Boys for what’s very much looking like their second successive promotion.

Sadly, the form we’re in at the mo’ means that I’m not that confident of us progressing.

Ah well.

M.O.T.

2 Likes

Bit like that mob up the road, a decade ago? Third to first in two seasons…… :smile:

1 Like

Norwich appear to be the in form team at the moment.

Interesting. For next season, St. Mary’s is instigating a “safe standing” area, across the Northam End behind the goal. The barriers have already started to be installed - looks like there’s going to be one on every row.
The away fans will be moved to a corner at the other end, which has already pi$$ed off the ST holders in that area. Curiously, it appears to mean that the away fans will arrive/leave smack in the middle of the “family & street food area”.

Not watched our last couple of games then?

Assuming our neighbours do automatically go up, all the playoff teams have shown variable form recently so who accompanys them is anyone’s guess as far as I can see.

An East Anglian double would be nice…

Says the man who has confidently predicted a 10th to 16th place finish from the beginning of the season!

I think you’re underestimating the Terriers :wink:

I’m worried I may have to suffer yet more disappointment with an expensive weekend away in London.

Well I’m not interested in the “over-priced, over-entitled” Prem. As was commented on Saturday during our abysmal performance vs. Stoke (kudos to them in their fight against relegation), “Dear God. On this showing, please do not let us get promoted.”

Anyway I look forward to welcoming our neighbours.

Nah, your money’s safe, as, on present form, we aren’t likely to get anything against Saints on Saturday, and I’m far from confident that we’ll progress via the playoffs either.

Our loss of form since the international break has been quite alarming, and remains largely unexplained.

Still, come what may … … … M.O.T.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I suspect promotion for East Anglias finest would swiftly followed by relegation for both the next season.

I am grateful to Sheffield United for making our last pathetic Premiership season look almost respectable!

Oh yeah, you didn’t watch us last Saturday!! :smile:

2 Likes

And that’s where the whole system has gone wrong. Too much disparity between Div1 and Div2. because of the sheer greed of half a dozen clubs, and the total failure of the Football Association (as the so-called “governing body” of soccer in the UK) to rein them in, for the good of the game in totality.

He broke the Ampadu/Roden CB pairing because Gruev was out, injured during the international break and we became porous, lost momentum which we never recovered. Gray in mid hasn’t helped - not ready imo. And Rutter’s hernia definitely affected our only creative force through the middle. We needed clean sheets to paper over the cracks but stopped getting them. As you say we don’t look capable of beating anyone half decent just now. I wonder if our fancy Dans got carried away with their own importance meeting other fancy Dans on international duty.

Edit: I wonder if the Welsh World Cup exit damaged our Welsh contingent. Rodon
certainly went backwards.

1 Like

Certainly as long as Jack “slo-mo” Stevens is playing……he is killing any forward momentum. Compare last Saturday v Stoke, when he was playing, with the game v Preston, when he wasn’t. Slow & stodgy compared to a fast exciting attacking force…with the game over at half time.

Unfortunately, Russel Martin has lived up to my expectations expressed here about nine months ago………

Three of the four likely play off teams are in wretched form. Not unusual for this time of season when legs and brains are tired, but always frustrating if you’re a fan or believe that results should always come with performances. Norwich, the team @JohnF would have us believe have been playing with 10 men for 5 months, are the only form team in there. Means next to nothing when the play offs start. One of those out of sorts team will be at Wembley.

It won’t be any consolation, Chris, but the media team were as flat as you and the rest of the fans were, after the Stoke game. Their livelihoods at risk, not just those of the players.

Two things keep my buoyant: If someone had said to me last August, you will finish the season in the play-offs, I would have bitten their hand off. I did not ever think automatic promotion was a given. Secondly, we can beat just about anyone on our day.

Norwich have Sara, Sainz, Sargent and Rowe who are exceptional attacking players in the championship. They usually make up for probably the worst defence and the most conservative manager in the championship.
I wouldn’t fancy our chances against Leeds or Southampton over two legs if we qualify.

1 Like

There is literally nothing you have fancied the chances of Norwich doing all season and yet there they are.

1 Like

I think that says more about the standard of the championship this year.
We are nowhere near as good as our side which were last promoted.
Looking at recent games both Bristol and Swansea gave us the run around and several of our other home wins could easily have gone the other way.
I think it’s the same for a lot of other teams, we just happened to have been a little bit luckier and we have Sara who is a bit special.

1 Like