Football Season 2023/24

Ha, yes Mike. Very happy to be proved wrong on that point.

1 Like

I’m still standing by my 10th to 17th prediction!

How we ended up in the playoffs is still totally beyond me. We only looked the best team over 90 minutes two or three times this season so far, although, amazingly, one occasion was against Ipswich!

This is the first time I am unsure I want us to reach the Premiership as I really feel we could end up making Sheffield United look a classy outfit…

Based on my seriously accurate prediction for this season, we will probably win the FA Cup &/or qualify for Europe with a high league placing next season.

Serious prediction. I don’t see us reaching Wembley via the playoff semi. Bamford will do the damage & without Barnes, all hope is gone.

1 Like

:grin: The starting point has to be that if any of us were that good at predictions we’d not be here pontificating on it but retired in a mansion somewhere. My finest hour remains persuading a bookie to let me put £10 on Denmark to win Euro 92 when rumours of their admission were just that. That £1,500 was very handy. My instinct on that was of course just a guess and a bit of fun. .

I share your bewilderment re: how things ended up when I look at our promotion but it reinforces my point to @JohnF that performances don’t win you anything. Finding a way to not lose and then to win is what’s key. Would be interested to see if @kaypeejay agrees with me on this but we finished 2nd despite only really turning up for

Notts County A - end of October was seriously our first great performance.
Morecambe - H and A
Grimsby - A
Crawley - H
FGR - H
Crewe - A

7 of 46 games. The rest was other teams not turning up (notably Mansfield and Stockport H games) and just finding a way to get a result. It’s actually easier to count the games we were 2nd best in. 0-0 at Mansfield was terrifying. No idea how we found a winner away at Colchester etc. Lots more.

I understand the EPL fear too. Sheffield United were an anomaly though in the sense that anyone who saw them in their promotion season couldn’t possibly think they were good enough without a major rethink, which was never going to happen. It’s interesting that John thinks this has been a poor Championship season and yet last time out who was there really after Burnley? This year has seen genuine competition so if you’re in the mix, form or not, it’s time to accept that 46 games do not lie.

Does Bamford have any damage left within him bar to himself?

Careful that your tongue doesn’t get stuck in your cheek with the 2nd half of that sentence :grin:

1 Like

So Saints got promoted to the Prem.

Phew, then I woke up. Gawd, wot a nightmare!

3 Likes

I wasn’t joking when I claimed Bamford was our second worse forward, after Harry Kane, in the last 20 years. He will regain form in the semi!

If we do end up victorious at Wembley, feel free to take all the micky you like! Even more if Barnes scores the winner…

A major problem we have have had for years is that most teams that don’t turn up for the majority of games do turn up against us. Birmingham last weekend being a good example. There aren’t many dressing rooms that feel they are beaten before the game starts when they see we are their next opponents.

1 Like

I know what you mean.

I still feel bad having the same thoughts us though.

Reported in the local paper Duffy has just been charged with drink driving following a crash on Monday night.
Bit early!

1 Like

Reminds me of a few years ago when Holt was caught speeding on the school run doing 38mph in the 30mph limit on Prince of Wales Road in his Peugeot 306!

How embarrassing, we were Premiership at the time & had it been any other club, the player involved would have been doing at least 100mph in his Ferrari…

2 Likes

Aye well we all have history there. The perpetual comedy that is Dean Saunders and the embarrassment that was James Gray. Being arrested drunk on your way to training was pretty impressive :slight_smile:

The perfect example of form being irrelevant. Doncaster were the firm team in the UK. Crewe are going to Wembley.

I was disappointed as Doncaster is close to me and therefore an easy game to get to.

In answer to your previous question, from the few matches I saw last season we were abysmal away. Mansfield should have had a hat full, Doncaster outplayed and beat us. We showed up against Harrogate and drew 2-2 from being 2-0 up. I think that result was more down to Okonkwo’s broken jaw though.

Most of the highlights I watched led me to believe we rode our luck but results are results.

People keep telling me Ipswich are not very good, but they got promoted. Perhaps this is the year for teams who know how to win despite underperforming.

1 Like

Pleasant bit of click bait on Sara in today’s Guardian. All the usual noises about what a wonderful move it was; how he can’t imagine being happier etc. All good noise before a move :slight_smile:

Interesting how he says Webber sold him the move.

https://x.com/talknorwichcity/status/1789557908541194678?s=61&t=02CJDPttUL7fJdcH2FNvXA

Norwich fans go early on Nov 5th. Stay classy lads.

3 Likes

I fear the only fireworks at Carrow Road today will be in our penalty box.

Will be thrilled to be proved wrong…

We started the game with 8 non scoring players, 7 if we give Rutter the benefit of the doubt. Fireworks are not expected.

Early Mighty Whites subs required from the start of the second half, as it’s just not working so far.

Piroe and Joseph on for Rutter and Gnonto, who’s already on a daft yellow card.

M.O.T.

As someone who values a clean sheet I’m happy with that. Given our injuries and our recent form I think that’s a great result which sets up the home leg really nicely. Farke won the tactical battle for me and without sparkling we looked the team more likely to score. Anybody’s game, still. Here’s hoping.

Championship playoffs, or “Best of the Rest”, if you prefer.

What a thoroughly boring game, with neither side showing the least bit of invention, the standard not a million miles from Sunday League.

Dearie me, is this as good as it gets?

M.O.T.

For us, yes.

The game wasn’t one to get you out of your seat. Both sides seemed cautious and prioritising avoiding defeat. I suspect the heat didn’t help, either.