For those with 500, which speakers are you using?

Surprised to see the lack of any Dynaudio speaker …

3 Likes

Speakers are so personal in their character, that it is purely a matter of what suits. I auditioned B&W 802D2 at the time I bought my present speakers. They were very nice, but on balance I preferred the PMC presentation. (But with Bryston not 500 amplification).

I’m more surprised at two small bookshelf models in there!

I’m another SL2 passive user. Tried active with 250DR x 2 for a while, but no contest, a single 500DR is much better, in my experience.

2 Likes

I wonder what would be better with the SL2s - a 500DR passive or two 300DRs active…

I’ve always had, not so much a dislike for, as a disinterest in B&W speakers. Because there are so many of them at so many price points, we have had various pairs home for auditions down the years. They all failed to impress. It was unfailingly something between bland and sleep inducing.

Our last speaker upgrade took over a year. We ran a lot of candidates through our lounge. Nothing really seemed to work. Some were good, some not, but none clicked. You know it when something clicks.

Our dealer kept telling us that we should listen to the 803D because he believed they were what we were looking for. We resisted. In the end we gave in to shut him up. They were the most musical speaker we had heard in our lounge up to that point. It would have been silly not to try the 802D. They worked even better. I have no idea what the new range sounds like. The last generation works so well in our room, on the end of our system that we couldn’t be less interested in jumbling it up again.

6 Likes

NBL:s

2 Likes

There are actually x 3 Kudos T88 users - myself, Rustyneedle and Glevethan…

Thanks for drawing my attention. Apologies @Rustyneedle, your post somehow slipped my attention, thinking it was a response to semething not identifying yours.

Will update my summary this eve.

1 Like

I am on my 3rd generation of B & W 802 speakers. The cynical might see that as a negative issue? But its not.
The first 802 I really coulld not get on with as they often overwhelmed in the bass. At that time my 500 had not been DRd. The 500DR has more grip then the non DR and is a superior amp in its own right.
Then the 802 D2 came out and as I like the B & W sound I did a part exchange. I was really hsppy with the D2s but the D3s build on the strengths of the previous models.
The general timescale in the past for B & W is to revamp their 800 range every 5 years or so which may mean a new range relativly soon. Who knows?
They have had a price increase mid period in February, the 802 increasing by £500 and the 800 by £1000. Having said that they are good value in comparison to other brands for similar money. A point made by a number of reviewers in the hi-fi mags.

Ovator S800 were not indicated yet. @Darkebear
Wilson Sasha Dawn @JTheKop

No Dynaudio! Very surprising.

1 Like

2016 08 06 1 r
Now indicated! :bear:

DB.

10 Likes

How Big??!! :astonished:

52/500 with passive NBLs.

1 Like

1.3m high - small really! :hear_no_evil:

They disappear into the room at night when the lights are out.

I love them - they work superb Active with NAP500DR.

DB.

3 Likes

I too use the T88s

Using cds2/XPS dr/01/52/135s
Love them
David

7 Likes

But not with 500…

Hi @marka, what kind of amplification did you have before the NAP 300DR? Right now I have a Nova with Super Lumina LS cables feeding my B&W 804D3 (+ B&W DB3D sub). I’m thinking about moving on with my system to NAC-N 372 / PS / NAP 300DR as soon as available (some time). Despite your love for the B&W 804D3 on the NAP 300DR do you have any side notes for me regarding the NAP 300DR on the B&W 804D3?

Moved from B&W 802 D2 to Kudos 808 in black .