For those with 500, which speakers are you using?

kudos

Another vote for the Kudos 808’s :slight_smile:

8 Likes

What lovely looking, and, given their transmission lines, I guess superb sounding speakers. And nice colour, too! Reminiscent of the original B&W Nautilus.

thanks, same designer Lawrence Dickie :+1: definitely an end point for me unless i win the lottery in which case a bigger listening room and bigger speakers from Lawrence will be ordered. I do love my purple smurfs.

1 Like

B&W 803d3 with full 500 system. Got there via a 300dr. Sounded great with the 300dr and simply brilliant with the 500dr. I listen to a lot of chamber music: all of the players are there in the room with you as individual and ensemble as you might wish for.

The room has a very thick carpet which makes sitting the speakers down quite the challenge. Have settled on a spiked dense paving slab which has stabilised everything.

2 Likes

The 500 DR is indeed a great amp and the gain in terms of clarity and soundstage comparing to the 300 DR is most enjoyable!

500 DR with Wilson DAW , very musical and beautiful soundstage

24 Likes

Nigel

I always new in the end you would see the light and come over to the “dark” side.
It has been so long I forget - were the previous ones big RED monsters?

Best
Gregg

They look like they come from the planet Gong.

1 Like

I owned a NBL since 2004 and was very happy with the soundstage they delivered. I decided to replace them with a Kudos Titan 808. The Titans improve the soundstage in all aspects :smile:

2 Likes

Evening Greg,

you were right, I ran ART Deco 20’s or more affectionately known as the big red monsters on the end of my 500,

Kind regards

Nigel

2 Likes

I wondered if they’re less loved because they’re not really a boutique brand. People IME having a natural love for those over big mass-producing ones.

Then again, this thread might indeed prove that I was wrong in thinking they’re less loved.

1 Like

And before the Big Reds? :wink: :wink:

Art Emotions Dave :shushing_face:

Argh … I forgot about those … was thinking of those tall, slender ones. :confounded:

You mean the Neat MF9’s Dave, wonderful speakers, one of the best speakers I have heard :blush:

But you know that :sunglasses:

1 Like

Result! I thought they deserved a second mention on this topic … mission accomplished … just need to get the thread titled changed to “are / were you using” :joy:

Seriously though, they are terrific squeakers, and, in my case, prevailed over those well known active offerings … as you might recall … you having bet the farm on the outcome. :grin: :grin:

1 Like

I have had so many speakers here, I have forgotten some of them :blush:. I will always look back on the Neats with much fondness, I really enjoyed owning them, I couldn’t have lived with the big ATC’s, too formal and matter of fact. The big Ebens were a possibility but at the risk of them falling over :anguished:
The ones I never got the chance to get here were the DBL’s, heard elsewhere but never in my own place!

1 Like

I fondly remember flying over to the UK to demo the newly released Neat Ultimatums against the original Titans which had also just come out (2010?). There were only 5 Titans (?) in the first batch and Derek was down at the old Cymbiosis setting up a pair for my demo. I actually ended up buying TWO pairs as I was also on a top secret mission for another forum member :sunglasses:

Best
Gregg

1 Like

An old photo of the very first pair of Titan 88’s back in 2010. I had them on trial and was very, very close to keeping them.

I recall Peter going over there to set your 88’s up Greg, I believe I have a photo of your very first pair in my email inbox Greg :blush:

1 Like

I remember Pete from Acoustica, my dealer of choice, having his DBL’s for sale.

At the time, I’d just moved from Neat MF5’s to MF7’s, so I took a pass … often wondered, “what if”?

Still, I’m more than happy with the obvious synergy between Neat / Naim, and am keeping a weather eye on any future developments from Bob. :face_with_hand_over_mouth: