Forum Album of the Year 2022

Good to see at least one hip hop album (two with Loyle, just spotted it) in the mix.

I’m not sure if I have many favourites from this year. Paradoxically, the year I start working in a record shop is also the year I seem to buy least vinyl!

Most played album(s) have been the Revolver box, (with the new Beach Boys box about to run it close), an old Joe Strummer album and bits of MF Doom and off shoots.

I actually thought that the free Sault downloads where their best releases to date and I’ve only worked my way through the first 3 LP’s.

3 Likes

In no particular order:

The Smile - A light for attracting attention
Spiritualized - Everything Was Beautiful
Nils Frahm - Music for Animals
Joe Strummer - Joe Strummer 002: The Mescaleros Years
The Black Angels - Wilderness of Mirrors
Brian Eno - FOREVERANDEVERNOMORE
Nick Cave/Warren Ellis - Blonde

2 Likes

6? Am I missing one or are you counting the 10 minute EP “X”? I seen reference to Air and Aiir. Maybe Aiir is the 6th one.

1 Like

For me it’s been a bit of a lean year for new material….I did enjoy Harry Styles but for me and it was a bit of a slow burn but just gets Harry at the line….

The 1975 and Being funny in a foreign language……never quite sure how this band chooses its album titles….:thinking:

3 Likes

The more I’ve listened to Sault over the last few days, the more their 2022 albums deserve to perch at the top of my list. Brilliant and so varied.

4 Likes

Off topic, but listen to her Outlaster album, a long term favourite of mine

1 Like

Air
Untitled (god)
Earth
Today and Tomorrow
Aiir
:+1:

2 Likes

As per others, I was going to go with Lucifer on the Sofa. But now trying out Lucifer on the Moon - and enjoying it immensely. Thanks for pointing it out

2 Likes

…and bizarrely just this week I went down an internet rabbit hole and found her collaboration with jim White ‘You Follow Me’ which is fantastic. I’d never heard of her before.

Sorry off topic, not a new release.

1 Like

Found it!! Aiir was under EPs on Tidal.

So far, loving Today & Tomorrow and Untitled (God); both excellent. Opening track on 11 is great; need to listen to whole album a couple more times. Only listened to Air once but enjoyed it - again, so different, choral/classical.

3 Likes

Good to see the Black Angels album on your list. Yet to appear in any of the music magazine’s aoty lists.

Know nothing of the band before this album, even though been around for a while. I only purchased it as I heard it in the record store. Certainly one of my most played albums since its release in September.

1 Like

Another shout for the Sault 5 album release. Astonishingly prolific. 5 really strong albums.

I’ll second another poster’s suggestion of Vieux Farka Touré & Khruangbin - Ali

3 Likes

Little Simz… Sometimes i might be a bit introvert (is absolutely amazing!!)
(However, the stonking best record out this year for me was RSD’s Art Pepper meets the rhythm section (which i doubt is allowed for the purpose of this thread) cheers folks!!!

Little Simz is a brilliant album but unfortunately it was 2021 rather than this year

2 Likes

Urghh! Sorry, you’re right… one of those days! It’s in my top 12 ‘finds’ of this year.

1 Like

Interesting avatar, @mookielagoo
Christine would he proud!

1 Like

Passover is my favourite.

1 Like

Vieux Farka Toure. Ali.
Album of the Year for me. Wonderful.

6 Likes

Yet to have a listen but I’ve seen it posted a few times, I’ll definitely have a listen over the weekend.

1 Like