Fraim black anodising change color?

Purple fascia, problem of the units from 2013 mostly

And at least two units from 1990 :blush:

^^^^ this is the best solution, a couple of black front uprights probably the cheapest option for the seller.

This does happen to the olive range Richard - Lord knows why!
Julianā€™s daughter returned a NAP250 that had been running hot (never got to the bottom as to why) that was positively rose pink.

Itā€™s a ā€œpatinaā€ thing! Maybe it adds value. :smile:

Regards
Neil.

3 Likes

Could have been worse I suppose. It could have been grey :sweat_smile:

1 Like

The volume knob on my Nait 5 turned a dark copper colour. Itā€™s actually not a bad colour apart from being uneven, I guess due to fingerprint oils. But of course now I want to sell it people think itā€™s a problem not being black.

Maybe there was an anodising batch that didnā€™t quite go right? The harsh NZ sun wouldnā€™t help either though.

Same happened on my black Marantz SR6003. It looks awful a copper coloured volume knob. The other knob was less exposed and therefore blacker

If you are keeping something, then a real potential benefit from a mental health point of view is to tell yourself that the imperfection you are looking at is part of its personality, or patina, if you prefer.

Once you start to think this way, you fondly stroke the scratch or whatever, rather than feverishly plan to get it erased at huge inconvenience and expense.

Huge difference in per design planned patina and a material defect.

Have just dealt with a couple of Fraim front legs along with a NAP250-2 & HiCap-DR fascia swap due to discolouration over time. All 2013 vintage products and all for the same customer!!! His similarly aged NDX fascia is also showing similar symptoms but his NAC282 is fine, as are all the other Fraim legs :flushed:

Have seen the shading issues mentioned in the thread on numerous products over the years, ranging from an 2002 Nait-5 volume control knobs going golden to purple shading on a more recent NAC552PS-DR BA outer sleeve.

There is another type of patina, one arising naturally through ageing, not planned by a manufacturer. Change due to exposure to light (or other environmental factors), can result in one example of a product developing a distinct patina possibly in a relatively short time due to (for example) direct exposure to strong sunlight, and another from the same production batch exhibiting little or no change because it has never had more limited exposure to only indirect sunlight. The difference is not a manufacturing fault as such, nor is it necessarily something the owner of the first should identify as a defect, as they could well think it is typical for an item of its age, and so not unexpected.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.