Fraim is going in

Well definitely keeping the fraim, as my old rack is now gone and off to support another naim system.
As for me still waiting for the 552 to come home, so i can fully experience what the fraim can do.

1 Like

Its back

4 Likes

O yes its all working once again.
Rossini adjusted back to its optimum settings.
Already sounding fantastic.
Very happy.
Faulty relay on left channel, all sorted.

Cheers naim

14 Likes

Enjoy the full effect Dunc. Should be a fun weekend!

Naim really need to improve the quality and ‘roadworthiness’ of their packaging boxes don’t they? The current ones just aren’t up to the job with modern time-pressed, unprofessional couriers. I don’t think courier quality is ever likely to improve so the only real solution is to better protect at source these very expensive, highly sensitive components.

Yes it was unfortunate, but naim sorted it out, as painless as it could have been, so can only be happy really with the outcome.

Already cant get over how much better it sounds than going direct into the 500.
Yes the 500 needs the pre, but the rossini also sounds much better bypassing its built in pre.
I had forgotten how much, it sounds even more alive and fast as hell, so punchy, sitting here very, very happy, its never been so good and its got to warm up yet and burn in, but naim have had it on test for a while, so i hope its on its way.

3 Likes

A tricky question for you Dunc.

If your 552 was performing as it should all the way through, do you think you would not have been drawn to Vitus? In other words was it the 552’s need for a service that caused you to look elsewhere?

Was just going to ask the very same.

I would probably say yes.
But at the time i didn’t know my 552 was starting to go off, as it was still sounding good, but for certain not 100% right.
For sure right now, i wouldn’t even consider the vitus sia 025 as an improvement

3 Likes

Glad to hear everything is sounding great.

Soo, how about a mini-review of the aura? Dealer finally came and picked up my lp-12, as I said before, basically a rebuild as both Karousel and lingo 4 being added, and then and only then, I’ll finally hear it thru the aura instead of prefix. Unfortunately, parting words were - should have it back in a couple of weeks.

I absolutely love the aura, and it matches the rega P10 and there cartridge’s.
I also like the look as once again it matches the P10 power supply.
Also as i dont use my turntable every night, its also nice that it only needs 30 minutes to warm up, this saves me leaving it switched on 24/7.
I was using a superline and supercap before, which was also great sounding, but not quite as good as the aura, with the P10, plus it was more boxes, cables, etc, and needed to be left on.

The aura is 100% silent and easy to adjust, it sounds silky smooth with excellent detail, when used with the P10, not sure how it will match your set up, i guess it will depend on what cartridge you use.
But i am very happy with mine

Going to try and make it look more balanced today.
Going to cut my spare long legs down to medium, and swap over the bottom legs, this then can have my headphone amp and rega power supply on it, as the headphone amp is really to tall for the standard height legs, and move the melco to just under the P10, so its in line at the top with the rossini.
This should balance the look much better, so out with the chop saw again lol

Remember, measure once, measure twice, measure three times!

1 Like

More balanced look

That’s it, its staying like this, headphone amp has its feet back on, as had to temporarily remove them, for it to fit in the standard height fraim.
Both silver boxes look much better at the same height.
Having the fraim heights matching also looks much better.

13 Likes

In terms of looks I think that is as good as you are going to get. It looks balanced.

1 Like

Easy to cut, if you have the right tools, in fact takes about 2 minutes, 1 minute to set up, 20 seconds to cut them, and 10 seconds to clean, and finally 30 seconds to touch up the cut edge to black.

2 Likes

Considering you have mixed a few brands in the Fraim, it looks very good. As the top of each stack is about the same, it makes it easy on the eye.

It seems to have been a tortuous journey for you, so you can now sit down and enjoy the music.

I knew the fraim was going to give me a few problems before i got it, and had a few ideas on how to over come them, in the end i have ended up with a much simpler layout, but i feel it looks the best and is sounding fantastic. Plus cable hanging is still ok, just, as with the 2 power supplies on the bottom, the cables hit the floor.
But much happier with the rossini and melco at the same level, just a shame i can’t get the melco in the centre, but the rear leg is in the way off the ethernet in connection, i might be able to come up with a solution to this in the future, but for now atleast i feel this is it.

My daughter has been listening to it this morning, she said you added new speaker at the back off the room and where are they. After explaining, she said it sounds 3d and like the music is all around you now.
I agree to a certain point, as its certainly got a very wide open sound, but surround sound, err no, lol.

1 Like

I remember this was a problem with some of the older olive series components and the usual way of dealing with it was to drill a hole through the rear leg