Furniture/Units - What Do You Put Your Naim On?

That’s a shame - the dimensions are perfect for the Nova

Thank you James.

I use a Hifi Racks Podium, which does a great job.

5 Likes

This is Hutter

I had the Quadraspire before which looks a bit more hifi rather than furniture.

4 Likes

besta-shelf-unit-with-glass-doors-black-brown-sindvik-black-brown-clear-glass

Found this IKEA unit discussed on a previous thread on here, from a few years back. Poster had his Nova on it, too!

Matthew thanks, looks great, certainly more solid than my flimsy Q4, not that I am dis-satisfied.
I’d realize I would need extenders to accommodate my top loader CD-player on second highest shelf, with my Turntable on top of a 5-tier Hutter.
Unfortunately can’t have my wallshelf in use currently.

I used to have my Harbeth speakers on a folding iron bookcase that I had bought from the container store. I just looked and while they no longer seem to have it, amazon does. Just have to be sure it is large enough dimensions to hold it on the top shelf

. The one I just saw is all of $35 in the U.S. so not much of a risk as far as investment At the time I’d also bought silicone kitchen mats to put between the shelf and the bottom of the speaker. You might find an inexpensive wood cutting board to place in between. Fwiw - I couldn’t hear any difference if I kept the lower shelves empty or loaded down with books :smiley:

1 Like

Looks good, can you buy those glass platforms separate?

Isoblue. Auditioned against Q’spire and preferred the look as well as the superior SQ.

7 Likes

Different heights were available. Although I don’t think it’s sold anymore so it’s a case of looking around for second hand bits.

1 Like

Keeps the wife happy as she can close the door😂

3 Likes

Yes i think you can. Not cheap though…

Bit of an update…

Looked for a while at various ideas, but whilst having a look around a 2nd hand furniture shop, I spotted something languishing in the corner - dusty and looking sorry for itself, £5 price tag!

I was away from home, so the shop kindly broke it down, so I took it home in bits where it was thoroughly cleaned and reassembled.

Very pleased with the results - I will fully admit to having a Kevin The Carrot thing going on around it!

With the Nova on the glass - it this okay, or would a bit of separation be better? If so, any ideas on what could be used?

1 Like

Black box stacking alert!

I want the the nearest Naim Racking Police Officer to go round and arrest this man.

The crime…… Naim Erroneous Racking Display, or NERD for short.

Shocking behaviour!

6 Likes

USM Haller

6 Likes

I use Quadraspire SV for my Sim Audio Moon amp and CD player, Melco N100 and Sony Blu ray player. It looks neat and performs well. In the past, with a Naim system, I’ve used Fraim, Tripods (going back a bit!) and Ash Design. I went from the Ash Design rack, which looked lovely, to Fraim. The Fraim was simply a massive improvement - a real quantum leap forwards, no question.

If I had a one box system I would probably put it on a nice table. Quadraspire now sell some small pucks to put under equipment which are supposed to mimic the effects of their racks, so I’d probably try those.

No question in my mind at all that dedicated racks vastly enhance the performance of systems, particularly multi box ones. I’ve experimented now and again with normal pieces of furniture, modified/adapted with sub-shelves and various isolation devices and found it’s possible to get acceptable results in some cases. However, change to a proper hi-fi rack and the improvement is very obvious and puts all the isolation devices under the sun into the shade.

At the end of the day it depends on your personal priorities and how you want your living space to look. Ideally, for appearance, I’d have a Bang and Olufsen TV with a pair of their column speakers each side. In fact I came very close in one of my darker moments to buying such a system. After auditioning it I actually thought it sounded pretty nice, but my better half blocked it! She said it looked lovely but sounded utterly boring! She’s not normally that fussy and used to claim she couldn’t hear any difference between say a CDX and a CDS3, but she hated the B&O sound!

1 Like

“At the end of the day it depends on your personal priorities and how you want your living space to look”.

This comment hits the nail on the head @anon33182107 . It sums up why I will never own a FRAIM - no amount of performance enhancement could compensate for those ghastly looks.

3 Likes

Andy,

I know what you mean. I found when I had it it actually looked rather better in the flesh than in pictures. Mine was all black. But it’s the kind of thing you buy when performance comes above every other consideration. Not least because of the price…

2 Likes

Isoblue here…

9 Likes

ABBA?

1 Like