Furutech Discussion

I’m running a Furutech cable with FI-28’s on my tube preamp and I’m very pleased with it. I usually prefer Copper, but my buddy only had gold and, TBH, I don’t hate it at all.

Looking at the Furutech catalogue, the FI-28 does look nicer than the FI-11. At one time I did have a three different Oyaide’s, a cheap copy (not terribly made but not great) and an Isotek. But never got round to A-B ing them on the same lead

Yes, having used both & as @ryder mentions, there is a significant quality jump between the two. In the past I’ve used the FI-11 series in some non critical locations but no longer use any from that series. Technically the 15+ series is lower but being it was more recently updated I would actually prefer it at times, as it has some benefits the FI-11 doesn’t. One being the FI-11 iec, uses phosphor bronze (the male plugs in the series are still pure copper), while the cheaper 15+ actually use pure copper.

As one would expect the top of the line FI-50’s are like jewelry, their build quality/fit & finish is outstanding (as you would expect given the price). I have not used one, but I’m sure the same would apply for the top of the line Oyaide.

4 Likes

One thing I managed to do at the previous house was have a new commercial consumer unit fitted to feed the HiFi, this was fed by a separate 100A switch and as I used the RCB’s to fuse each line I was able to use the CU to feed 4m cables to iec plugs, avoiding the 13A UK plug connection and any additional fuses (so the cables came straight out of the CU) I was also able to keep each cable identical length and construction so it was all star earthed at the massive GND plate in the CU. This was great but a bit intrusive unless you accepted the site of the large metal CU and thought of it more like a radiator ! Not very expensive in the grand scheme of things and a very big upgrade and cheaper than 28 Furutech or MSD 13A plugs !

Out of interest, are you UK based?

DG…

Yep

I appreciate what you’re doing. However, this offers no protection to the cable (flex) to the components, plus it does not meet the Wiring Regulations.

If you had an issue or fire, your insurance company may claim that your insurance is void as it doesn’t meet the Wiring Regulations.

Something to consider.

DG…

1 Like

Not as I understand as you are feeding a single spur with an individual fuse to that line. the only reason if I recall you have the need a 13A fuse on a cable is as it is likely to be on a higher rated ring main, in this case it has a fuse at the CU, no ring main and a fuse in the unit. So no issue as far as safety is concerned ?

What is the rating of the fuse at the CU?

DG…

What ever you want for each line, they do 3A or less if you need

I’m not really understanding what you’re doing.

You have a 100A main switch, but 3A on your flex to the component.

You’re happy, so I’m going to leave this conversation here.

DG…

1 Like

Straight forward really the CU is fed by a 100A incoming switch then the CU has a number of switches (often RCD’s) you will have one of these for each ring circuit in normal installation. In my case I used each switch in the CU as a single line to one unit and these switches you can buy in many different sizes. Feeding a unit directly with the right fuse on a single line not a ring main it fine. If you wanted to wire in to a wall socket and still avoid another fuse you can always use these but this adds a connection and additional cost

https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/888-black/round-pin-mians-plug-15a-black/dp/PL14019?mckv=s_dc|pcrid|426684131186|kword||match||plid||slid||product|PL14019|pgrid|100371159598|ptaid|pla-2278040096814|&CMP=KNC-GUK-CPC-SHOPPING-9262013734-100371159598-PL14019&s_kwcid=AL!5616!3!426684131186!!!network}!2278040096814!&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwzN-vBhAkEiwAYiO7oLwVQSbyalChrvwqiHESGPCHnuJQ-P4kwA3BdERMFiI6IcsGlfESpBoCKZsQAvD_BwE

I wont post anymore as this is a Furutech thread

Changed from cheap standard connector on my Puritan Ultimate to Furutech. Great upgrade :+1: The standard connector had a rather loose grip on the IEC inlet. The inner wires are super thin wrapped in silicone so therefore Ultimate is so extremely flexible compared to say Powerline which have less inner wires and instead thicker like industrial power cables like Lapp.

7 Likes

Is it too early to judge any sound quality improvements?

That looks better - probably a bit more room for dealing with those thicker wires. It looks rather a tight fit inside the supplied IEC !

2 Likes

I found a definite improvement doing the same on mine, both ends originally, now just the IEC.

Is that gold or rhodium?

2 Likes

Currently gold. And you?

You reverted back on the wall end?

Gold FI-28 IEC … yes using the standard wall plug to match the MK brass sockets I’m using on my power block currently. I did have rhodium ncf on it before.

1 Like

So you preferred the original connector there over Rhodium NCF. Interesting :slight_smile: But Puritan indeed claims that matching metals is very important. Initial impressions here is that the system sound more powerful than with the original IEC.

I found a guy on youtube which replaced all IEC on 156 too. I’m a bit curious in how this could improve further since I’m using Powerlines which are Rhodium plated Furutech Schukos.

1 Like

Bit early. Haven’t had time to sit down and have a relaxed listen yet but inital impression is it sounds more powerful and bit warmer in the lower frequencies. The original Ultimate can IMO and as others also say sound bit lean/neutral depending on a lot of things as always. If you want away from that yet keep the good stuff with Ultimate which it does really good then this is what you should do IMO.

1 Like