Furutech Discussion

Yes, and I plan to swap over to the brass WattGate, as it matches the original Puritan IEC but with the strong grip of the Powerline. Seems logical and worth a try at least!

2 Likes

Let me know how it goes if so :slight_smile: I’m having my eyes on Iego connectors at my end. Their silver connectors seem to be very good.

Will do!

I agree about the slightly warmer tone of the gold Furutech, I quite like that so I may well go back to it, we’ll see.

2 Likes

Any experiences going from gold to rhodium on IEC connector and more specifically the bass region?

@Blackbird
Hi
When I do my plugs I always use Bootlace Ferrules to stop single pinch tightening on some strands.

2 Likes

I’ve had my eyes on the Furutech forks but the pros use specific crimp tools for this so haven’t tried it out. Those are made to fit the Furutech connectors on both sides of the screw. How do you mount these onto the bare copper wire?

Currently I actually prefer the original Puritan connector. The Furutech gold makes the bass bit to bloated for my taste. It’s a challenge to impress PRAT addicts…

2 Likes

Hi
I don’t crimp I just use a ferrule as tight as possible on the stripped wire then allow the set screw to crimp.
That way it’s completely clamped and tightened on all strands without any pinching.
All strands are tight instead of just some. :+1:t2:

3 Likes

The Ferrules @Skeptikal has mentioned are much thinner walled, so they get installed in a different manner. They can be a good idea in certain applications but depending on their material, I would not want to introduce them if they were of a different/inferior metal vs the rest of the plug. You are correct in that the FP-209 spades are normally crimped, I happen to have a hydraulic crimper with interchangeable die sizes, but I have been told these can be crimped with the more basic hand crimpers as well (not sure about your location but these are available for cheap from places such as Amazon).

As for gold vs rhodium & your bass issues, yes gold is typically know to make the bass more bloated/emphasize certain frequencies more then others. Rhodium is cleaner & more articulate, to some it may appear thinner but I don’t believe that to be the case, its just more linear(doesn’t emphasize just one frequency range) & digs down deeper. Rhodium appears to have more slam as well, again, generally gold just rolls things off/masks insight.

3 Likes

Anyone have Iego connectors? I’m planning on getting this one for my Puritan instead if the Furutech one.

What does this do? Sorry for my ignorance

What it’s doing? It’s a fancy power cable connector :blush:

2 Likes

It’s early in the morning here. Where’s my coffee? lol

We all can relate to early mornings pre coffee :smile::coffee:

1 Like

IF you need to pick one, which one?

Furutech e-TP609 NCF
Puritan PSM156
Audioquest Niagara 1200

1 Like

I’m still leaning toward the Furutech, but I’ve noticed the Puritan seems to be popular. The Puritan interests me as it can eliminate transformer hum which I get from time to time. However it’s way more expensive here in North American and that’s not including the powerCord.

1 Like

Thanks. I guess the only way to find out is to try it in the system, no other way.

1 Like

You are correct.

If it wasn’t tax season( :frowning: ) I would have tried the Furutech at home by now. I’m afraid if I demo it I won’t send it back so I better be ready to purchase it and a powerCord…

2 Likes

Picture from Furutech website

Hi … has anyone tried this ? Will it work on the components’ chassis and cables ?

I would think this is primarily for records. Guess you could use this for camera lens but it’s a little too large for that.

PTFE, commercially called Teflon, that is widely used for cables, is one of the most electrostatic material accumulating electrons, perhaps there is effect, though I never try it. From another side human skin also gives electrons, so when you touch your teflon cables, to massage them for example, you give them your electrons :slight_smile:

1 Like