Furutech NCF sockets

Hi has anybody had any experience with the Furutech FP-1363-D NCF sockets?

I’ve had positive results from the Russ Andrews Supersocket which is considerably less money but I think my new system deserves the very best so I’m looking for any user feedback please. Otherwise I’ll continue with the Russ Andrews.

I have the Furutech FT-SWS NCF (R) which I guess is a close cousin to the one you ask for. It was a transformation in my home and system replacing the existing socket from 1981 with this. I guess many forget about this connection which in many cases are very old compared to the mains block and electronics used and every component draw current through the same jack so, important one! It took 2-300h to burn in and calm down is worth mentioning but from thereon, great!

2 Likes

Another FT-SWS NCF (R) user here (Schuko). A very nice upgrade over good quality (Jung) domestic sockets. I agree with the burn in comments, they take quite a while to settle down - be patient.

3 Likes

Good quality sockets combined with good mains cables going directly to components will often produce the best result or performance, in my experience. Much better result than connecting the equipment to a cheap block such as Wireworld Matrix 2 etc.

I use a Furutech outlet as well but not the model as listed above. In comparison to the standard wall socket, it’s not a subtle difference. It is also useful to note that higher quality wall sockets are a more economical option than investing in a costly block such as the Niagara 3000 for instance. If there are sufficient wall sockets for all your equipment, I feel it is more worthwhile to upgrade the sockets.

2 Likes

I have one for my setup. Excellent socket, easy to fit (though you have to ‘bridge’ the two sockets as they’re independent of each other) and a really firm grip of a UK plug. Recommended.

1 Like

I never used one, but it annoyed me slightly to see that their double sockets are actually two single sockets in the same casing.

Hi, I don’t completely understand. Why can they not be used as individual sockets?

They’re not ganged together as a conventional double socket is. Instead they are, as said above, two independent single sockets housed on a double plate. Therefore you will need to connect the mains to one socket and then manually gang the relevant connections to the second socket using some spare wire from the loom.

If your socket is at the end of the line, as it were, this is very simple. More likely, though, is that it has a cable in and a cable out (feeding other sockets on the ring). You cannot connect these to the separate sockets and expect it to work, you will have broken the line - you will still need to gang the two individual sockets together.

4 Likes

They do this to allow you to run not one but two dedicated circuits to one outlet. One for source and one for amps presumably.

Worth noting you can do Furutech NCF but without exotic metals for the contacts. NCF + brass should avoid long run in times and might be an electrically better match for things like Powerlines.

They sell the face plates and socket assemblies separately so you can customise your configuration.

5 Likes

The EU Schuko on Powerlines use Furutech with Rhodium plating so in that case the NCF Rhodium wall sockets should be a better match. The UK Powerlines is brass or what is it?

Anyone know what metals Powerline use on the IEC side?

1 Like

Not so simple. As far as I know Naim changed from brass Furutech on older Powerlines to Rhodium on newer ones. So it depends what vintage you are using.

1 Like

Never seen brass plated Powerline with Schuko. Sure about that?

Well the older Shuko ones were probably stainless or aluminium as is more common in the EU. Perhaps not obviously non rhodium to the naked eye. The US ones were brass and moved to rhodium a couple years ago. After I bought mine so I have the brass ones.

I’ve only seen EU Powerline with Furutech FI-E35 (older powerlines) and FI-E38 (latest) Schuko. Both are Rhodium plated.

1 Like

Interesting. The US one was brass FI-11M. Of whuch a Shuko variant does exist (FI-E11).

I got mine in 2015.

FWIW, I plan on reterminating mine to match the mains socket, which in my case is just gold rather than rhodium.

I have installed the US versions of GTX DR NCF duplex receptacle, GTX Wall Frame, and Outlet Cover 106 NCF, sold as a set. Outstanding boost and very good VFM, in my opinion.

3 Likes

Another question which I guess is a related to this subject is, I’ve always assumed Naim amps cables require 13 amp fuses here in the U.K. Is this correct?

Naim fit 13 amp fuses as standard to all power cables.

1 Like

Instead of spending money on exotic sockets, try using a power socket like the one for air conditioners and you have solved the problem.
Think for a moment, what do we want to achieve at the point of contact of the power cable in the system to the home electrical network -
Firm and tight contact without displacement of the plug in the socket.
The rest are urban legends…

I have ordered the dual gang NCF, still awaiting delivery from MCRU.

1 Like