Future reality?

Superb!
:joy:

Yes, several times over the years. Apart from the resultant temporary visual blurring I don’t recall any other issues.

Naim will encounter a very important question in 50 years, when robots will make themselves the service and dr of Naim components.
But then the question : who needs service quicker, the robot or the Naim amp?

3 Likes

Good, you’re probably safe then.
The only mydriatic I can tolerate is phenylephrine, and that’s not normally prescribed (the most commonly used one is tropicamide - a short acting non-specific muscarinic anticholinergic.).

1 Like

years ago, when I was about 9, I had a course of eye drops in both eyes, over several days (about a week or so, IIRC), so that the optometrist could have a look at something. During the period I couldn’t focus my eyes on anything. No idea what it was, but I suppose it could have been a mydriatic. It had no other effect at all, that I remember. Just very disconcerting to have everything totally out of focus.

1 Like

Yes, that’s a mydriatic - a mydriatic is a substance that causes dilation of the pupils of the eye. The wider the pupil, the more the eye’s spherical aberration comes into play. Normally this isn’t a problem as the pupil only opens that far at night when vision is through the rod cells rather than the cones and the resolution of rods in the eye is nowhere near as good as the resolution of the cones, so you just don’t notice the blur as much as if it happens during the daytime.

Most people don’t get significant side effects from any of the mydriatics (anticholinergic OR sympathomimetic); I’m just very unlucky with that.

I should point out that above is only a very rough 1st order approximation to the reason why it’s very noticeable in the daytime but almost unnoticeable at night… in reality, vision is WAY more complex than that!

And the robots will also be the buyers, going to dealers (staffed by robots) and viewing/auditioning, and choosing a system for the customers to save them the effort of leaving their homes. The big question is, will the customers/listeners be human, or robots???

3 Likes

Maybe we are self replicating robots that have forgotten our makers.

4 Likes

Well funny said :+1::joy:

Maybe this is all an illusion in my mind.

Maybe we’re all just programmes in a simulation.

Douglas Adams posited that we are all part of an experiment run by mice to determine the meaning of life (42).

1 Like

But what does the question mean?

Also is the answer 42 actually correct, or did the Golgafrinchans irreparably damage the programme?

2 Likes

I followed your video link, which led me to discover Boston Dynamics. Who leads the way in terms of development.

2 Likes

Much more interesting than human faces robots working in industry. Your video shows hopefulness for handicapped persons. It can be useful to carry very heavy loudspeakers too :grin:

2 Likes

Actually powered exoskeletons are already a thing in Japan as of more than a decade ago. Mainly in construction, moving, and warehouse management. Niche for sure, but a real thing. They claim they are great for the elderly too but I’ve yet to see a single person wear one in public.

It’s a shame that Europe doesn’t have them, specially for building tasks. The workers could live longer if their health was more preserved.

Watched Chappie again last night.
Still great.

Didn’t knew that movie. But I can see it’s made by the same guy who did “ District 9” which was excellent.

1 Like