Game console graphics, getting more and more impressive

Saw this posted elsewhere, I was not expecting what I saw.

Make sure you view the 1080p video.

1 Like

Impressive indeed.

1 Like

I also cant wait for the tempest engine 3D audio on the ps5 too.

1 Like

Always been a playstation person, never had an xbox. Definately plan to get a PS5 but will be really interesting to see how it goes in the latest round of the console war

1 Like

I have both ps4 pro and x box scorpio and of course prefer playstation because of the amazing games on the system. i was thinking of also buying the x box series x but probably wont because its not going to have an optical output on the back, a huge error in my opinion.

2 Likes

Agree on lack of optical - current AppleTVs don’t have them - that’s a real nuisance.

1 Like

Slightly off-topic, but …

All new TVs lack SCART inputs. Luckily enough the Sony (it has 2 SCART sockets) in my study is still going strong, but I occasionally like to dig out my old PlayStation 1 & 2 games and play them.

A year or so ago I bought one of those adapters which you can use to plug SCART into HDMI sockets, so that I could play them using my Arcam AVR850 for it’s switching and sound capabilities. Worked OK, but with one problem - the display was too dark to see some things when used this way. For instance, playing TR3, in the Area 51 start, it was impossible to see where Lara was without using Flares!

Don’t think I’ll be upgrading from my PS4 unless there is a game I MUST have, unless they decide to actually really have backward compatibility this time.

1 Like

At least Playstations seem to have a good liferspan - got the original in 1996 I think, the PS3 in 2006/7 primarily as I wanted a BluRay player - it had very little use as a games machine. Santa brought my son a PS 4 Pro in 2018 I think. Got a a couple of games for myself but would rather play retro games like Defender and Space Invaders!

We crossed of over from Playstation to Xbox One X, it’s a great machine and hugely powerful with a great gaming ecosystem with good game membership plans. (Just make sure you have a high bandwidth HDMI cable and TV if you want it to run in full resolution and colour depth.)

Agree the graphics are very immersive, and on the OneX one doesn’t have to usually sacrifice quality for frame rate, which was an issue on our Playstation3
With regard to graphics and environment interaction one can see the developments in the last few years … Rockstar games are one of the best out there… and it’s interesting to compare GTA5 with Red Redemption 2, both great games but the animation, modelling and environment interaction has significantly come on in a few years between the two.
The environment interaction and physics coupled with good realistic animation/4K graphics and depth of field control really adds to the game play immersive experience,… as well of course as an addictive plot and gameplay…
BTW Forza Horizon 4 is another example of a game that looks divine with state of the art cutting edge graphics at high frame rates, especially on the OneX , but perhaps let down with limited/unrealistic environment interaction

As far as lifespan… agree some consoles do seem to last a long time. We still have our PS2… which I still think is possibly one of the best consoles ever… sure its games look a little crude by today’s standards, but it rocks

1 Like

Incredible .

1 Like

crikey those figures!

1 Like

Thanks, I will have to look out for some of those games.

I’m a bit hesitant about signing up to all these online gaming services (either for the kids on Nintendos or the PS4) or for me with other devices. Privacy concerns, probably unfounded.

Many years ago, in the early 80’s, I can remember watching a fantastic Horizon programme on computer graphics which fascinated me, and probably fuelled my interest in home computing at the time and in later machines as graphics improved.

It’s frankly amazing that some of those things on that programme generated in research labs requiring Cray-1’s or similar to render can now easily be surpassed on home computers, even mobile phones - I don’t think I could have dreamt at the time that I’d be seeing such things in my lifetime. Devices like the HHGTTG and Space 1999 Comlocks must seem quaint to youngsters these days.

I’ve got a betamax copy somewhere assuming my father didn’t record over it when I left home (as he did with lots of old music videos and sci-fi shows), great nostalgia, I suspect some of you will remember this Horizon programme:

@TiberioMagadino and I discussed old Horizon some time ago, along with this great site (BBC micro thread coming up):

https://clp.bbcrewind.co.uk

1 Like

I thought that was a real pitch at the Tomb Raider franchise , certainly better graphics than Rise Of The Tomb Raider

1 Like

Yes just shown the kids who were rather unexcited about the prospect of new consoles!

Amazing in 4k - 2160p.

2 Likes

Give them TR1 to play …

What I saw was superb

1 Like

Only had the 1080p option on my Mac- maybe a codec issue for 4k from memory.

Do you mean the old Tomb Raider game?

That’s the one, preferred TR2 myself . Between Unreal Engine 5 and TR1 the difference is somewhat noticeable

1 Like

Defender was an incredible game, only bettered by stargate imho :+1:

1 Like