Garage conversion

So we have a garage at the back of the garden thats been unused other than gardening tools and junk gathering pretty much since we moved in 17 years ago. So thought it was about time it got better use as we needed more space for homeworking and fun. So have had it converted into 2 rooms, with a dividing door. Front half is for watching, back part for working. Boy will use it for gaming and watching his crap and I’ll use it for work and recreation.

Put in a Samsung top of the range QLED from last year as was on offer, with a Sonos arc for soundbar and for music. I can use Roon with it for music when working and just chilling. Unfortunately funds have not stretched to an Atom HE for the office part so using my trusty Hiby DAP for now when I went more hifi related listening. I did get an Astell and Kern Kann Alpha DAP but it proved to be unworthy and expensive for what it was so went back and funds got swallowed up with the car issues I just had and posted about.

Been a much cheaper way of getting more space, without loosing the garden space or going in loft which is out of our current budget by some. Any way here is some before and after pics. Quite happy with it , it’s cosy and well insulated and has under floor heating. Added a shed being the garage on reclaimed border land so all the junk we kept went in there.

25 Likes

A very tidy job :+1:

1 Like

Thanks.

1 Like

Lovely work. Is that your new men’s den to escape the wife? :relaxed:

3 Likes

Great job!

Partly and to get the boy out if the front room so I can use my Naim! Was also frustrated with still working in my dining room so that’s back to normal recreation except the days Mrs Gipsy is working in there. She doesn’t want to use my space and I am happy about that.

All you need now is a mini bar and a Mu-so Qb2 :relaxed:

1 Like

Thats next :frowning: when funds allow, plus a comfy arm chair for my bit.

2 Likes

Great work there, well done!

1 Like

Looks nice, what about heating for the winter?

A proper bar with plenty of wines, beers, whiskies, vodkas and some minimalist HIFI system (with thundering noises) are all you need.

3 Likes

A colleague of mine installed one at the bottom of his garden as a “Boys Room”, so it has a bar, pool table and large screen TV for the footy! Don’t remember what it cost him but it was fairly modest in the great scheme of things, including heating.

1 Like

Has under floor heating, and a hell of a lot of insulation.

3 Likes

S. & I have talked about one for our garden…but the rear garden is not huge, and after the shed, the greenhouse, the cat run, and the 8x4 metre conservatory, there ain’t much space left.

Tempting as it is to put a glasshouse over the whole of the back lawn!

Very nice but I filled mine with motorbikes - 8 at the moment.

3 Likes

Wow that’s a collection. The previous owner of the house was a car nutt as he had built and inspection pit into the floor. Had to fill that with a few enemies and concrete it over. :wink:

1 Like

Looks great

1 Like

One my favourite things about this is the light switch to turn on the outside light is kinetic, no wires no battery nothing. Love it.

I’m looking for a house with a garage at the moment, there’s too much of this sort of thing going on I find. Just my personal perspective and as usual I’m probably in the minority.

2 Likes

Our house was built in 1939 and had an integral garage. But it is was far too small to get a modern car into it and so latterly inevitably it was just used for messy storage until eventually I converted it to give me an office and a smaller amount of tidy storage.

4 Likes