Garden tools that people may find useful 🌵

I have recently received a long reach telescopic pruner and it has been a game changer with regards to doing away with an unwieldy ladder. It is especially useful for dead heading flowers and pruning relatively thin branches that are out of reach.

The default length is 1.8 metres (6 feet) but it can be extended up to a maximum of 3 metres (10 feet).

This lever allows the pruner to be extended:

The handle has been cleverly engineered and is able to rotate roughly 270°:

Please feel welcome to share other garden tools that other people may find useful :relaxed:

4 Likes

Mattock - preferably the Asian (Chinese?) pattern rather than the English pattern if you can find it. A much better way of digging than a spade or shovel.

1 Like

Hori Hori Trowel Knife

Weeds, plants and cuts

3 Likes

I bought this Solo 461 sprayer a few days ago and I’m literally amazed at how good a decent sprayer can be. I’ve had quite a few sprayers over the years, from the usual Hozelock to fancy brass-internals expensive ones and they’ve all literally been rubbish. However, one puts up with them, because one doesn’t know any better. This Solo one doesn’t leak or drip in use anywhere, gets up to 3 bar, sprays far more powerfully than I’ve ever used, sprays non-stop for minutes on one pressurisation and generally feels quality. A revelation.

I haven’t been this excited since buying a welding helmet.

4 Likes

I have a Solo sprayer (not quite the same model, but very similar) and, yes, I have found it to be very good. Bought it about 15 years ago.

1 Like

For people with gardens, I think having a partner who is into gardening and enjoys it is best, no need to concern yourself with tools. Then you can sometimes sit and enjoy the result of them spending hours in the garden whilst you keep out the way, possibly listening to music on a Naim based system.

8 Likes

I have a variety of implements from this company, including a shovel. These were used to plant out, belatedly, some french beans this morning.
The other tools I use a lot are a scythe and a pair of ARS shears. The latter chops up the nettles I pull up daily before dumping them into the compost.

2 Likes

I’m a convert to using holsters as it avoids the accidental misplacing of tools and also frees up the hands in a safe manner (those blades can be particularly sharp):

4 Likes

This thread is quite topical for me, as I’m thinking of buying a cordless hedge trimmer. There seems to be quite a lot of choice out there. I haven’t got a lot of shrubs / hedges to trim, so I probably don’t need anything too powerful. Anyone got any recommendations in this regard?

I brought a Bosh one a few years back with 2 batteries. Cost a fortune, batteries didn’t last. Then a couple of years ago I got one from Aldi, still going strong on one battery, and a better cutter

From personal experience, I would recommend the STIHL HSA 56 Cordless Hedge Trimmer. It has nice safety features to prevent the user from accidentally turning it on and the blades are super sharp. Powered by an AK20 battery it offers over an hour of use.

I would also suggest that it be used in conjuction with the Superclean lubricant/solvent. In addition, a helmet with face shield offers protection from debris and I would also advise wearing a pair of chainsaw chaps.

4 Likes

Thanks that’s interesting - I do have a Bosch cordless mower with two batteries which I’ve had for a few years, which has been fine, although the battery charger had to be replaced in the first 12 months (thankfully, under guarantee).

Thanks for the recommendation, together with some useful advice. I’ll look into Stihl trimmers.

Big fan of Niwaki - bought the tripod ladder last year - light as a feather and perfect for stability and getting right up close to the hedge.

4 Likes

You’re welcome, I used to use a pair of shears but the hedge trimmer makes light work of the task at hand and it also becomes less of a chore and more of a pleasure. Wishing you a lovely day :relaxed:

1 Like

I also have the tripod ladder but with the adjustable front legs. Like you already know it’s an absolute delight to use around the garden. In addition to hedge trimming the single rear leg is particularly adept at being planted between fauna for unrivalled access to those hard to reach areas. Wishing you a lovely afternoon :relaxed:

2 Likes

Ooh nice bit of a Niwaki secateurs there.

2 Likes

Think we’re leading the same life here. Here’s my helmet I love and nothing better out there. Can you believe I waxed it with Renaissance wax. I’ll get my coat.

5 Likes

doubles up for Covid protection also - win-win

1 Like

Just bought this for cleaning my patio

1 Like