Garden tools that people may find useful 🌵

Please keep us informed of how effective it is at cleaning the patio, because the rotating bristles look as though they will be kinder to the mortar (if any) between the slabs (especially when compared to a pressure washer). Wishing you a lovely evening :relaxed:

I got it as too many weeds and I won’t use herbicides except on bindweed

Thank you and hoping you have a good evening as well

1 Like

And the make - not clear in the photo.

1 Like

Ryobi, it’s part of their one battery range -bought from The Big River

Thanks.

Makita 36V - 2 x 18V strimmer, just as good as my old petrol Sthil strimmer and a lot easier to start does about 55 minutes on a pair of 5.0 A/hr batteries. Edit: have owned mine for over 2 years now and really pleased with it, gets quite a lot of use as I use 3 lots of batteries to do everything but have one set re-charging while I strim with second set.

3 Likes

Last year I bought my wife a pair of Okatsune secateurs for her birthday. I must admit she wasn’t very happy, but once she started using them she realised just how poor the secateurs she’d been using over the years actually where.

They started to tarnish almost immediately and look a bit rough, but they are very sharp, very tough and very hard. They still cut as if they where new and I’ve only sharpened them once by running a wetstone over cutting edge a few times.

Recommended.

5 Likes

Applying a thin layer of oil over the blades will prevent them from tarnishing/rusting. I have an oil dispenser that is filled with Camellia oil:

3 Likes

Don’t forget your coat. It was already out of fashion in the Renaissance.

2 Likes

I got this one from DeWalt a few weeks ago, simply as I’ve been acquiring a few of their tools so have batteries/chargers to spare.

Tried it a few weeks ago and it wasn’t quite as good as I expected - maybe just getting used to it, but my corded Ryobi seemed better though the DeWalt may have given cleaner cuts overall, just wasn’t as happy with thicker small branches. Battery life excellent though and did quite a lot with juice to spare, and so much easier than extension leads and avoiding leads.

Going cordless is something of a no-brainer these days though - quicker and safer and getting close to corded.

Interestingly the Ryobi cordless one has great Amazon reviews - I was tempted but didn’t want to start another battery ‘ecosystem’.

I may have had a Bosch or Black and Decker cordless a few years ago which was ok, but not great as the batteries were NiCd not Lithium based.

2 Likes

You may find that your Dewalt is not as powerful as your previous corded trimmer because it is operating from a single 18V battery. In contrast, my STIHL uses a single 36V battery and it is extremely powerful :relaxed:

1 Like

Hi, A friend has a Makita 18V LXT hedge trimmer which works very well. I have a few Makita LXT 18V tools: strimmer, drills, impact drivers, angle grinder & sabre saw and can’t fault them.
I think you’d do well to look at the other tools in any chosen range before deciding as it would make sense to use the same eco system of batteries and charger as they are not cheap.

1 Like

Picked up one of these Wolf-Garten multi tool extension poles and anvil cutter years ago in a sale and it was very good for cherry pruning, the pulley system is not running as smoothly now and tends to need fiddling to reopen the jaws after each cut so may need to buy a new head to fit the pole. Maybe the spring has lost some tension?

2 Likes

I also recommend the Stihl HSA56 cordless trimmer.

2 Likes

Silky Gomtaro 300mm - fantastic saw, comes with a nice plastic scabbard and blades can be swapped when worn out.

5 Likes

I also have one of those anvil loppers, have you tried spraying some WD40 on the hinge? :relaxed:

1 Like

Yes, I think I did or maybe it was a bit of oil. Must try again when the weather is better!

I got this ‘cord tidy’ accessory which attaches to the bottom of the pole a few years ago and I’m not sure it isn’t partly responsible judging by some of the reviews:

The rubber bottom is good for letting you stabilise the pole against upper thigh whereas bare pole could be quite uncomfortable.

I’ve also got the Bosch cordless lawnmower, strimmer and hedge trimmer. I think I’ve had them for about five years. The lawnmower probably gets used for one to two hours a week at the moment.

The batteries are losing capacity, but that’s only to be expected really. Apart from that no complaints. I will probably replace the mower in a year or so but I don’t think it’s poorly built, just carelessly used…

1 Like

I would suggest spraying a load of WD40 on the hinge and then manually opening and closing the lopper because it may have seized up after not being used for a while :relaxed:

1 Like

Will give it a shot, I wasn’t sure either if the cord/pulley system might need some lubrication as it’s pretty grimey.