Garden tools that people may find useful 🌵

I have a Bosch Rotak mower, the first one’s charger died just outside warranty after light use - I had to make a big fuss under consumer law to get Homebase to replace it, the replacement has been good for several years except the handles keep coming out of the holes - I have no idea how they are supposed to stay put, I think the older one had holes for screws but this one doesn’t.

That’s a lovely saw you have. In contrast, I bought the WOLF-Garten Power Cut Professional Pruning Saw because it can be attached to their Multi-Change Telescopic Handle for cutting branches that are out of reach. It also comes with a plastic scabbard.

3 Likes

I’ve got an older or simpler version of that. Nice to use with its short handle or on the extension pole.

1 Like

From memory the handles just pushed into the sockets, I’m not sure how they are retained but I don’t recall using a screwdriver to secure them.

1 Like

I think there was a design change between the original and the replacement, and the newer one is more ‘push fit’ but it doesn’t work so when I pull it backwards the handles come out of the base.

For me it’s the silky pocket boy.

4 Likes

Tools need an occasional maintenance: a good clean followed by applying a thin layer of wax to the cord may reduce friction and keep it running smoothly :relaxed:

1 Like

I was wondering about wax of some kind.

OLFA retractable hobby knife and from my experience these blades are the sharpest that I have ever had the pleasure of using :relaxed:
Olfa-LA-X-Snap-Blade-Knife

Great thread by the way.

1 Like

Makita are no doubt a reliable brand but I am more inclined towards my collection of Festool tools. Worth checking out should you feel the inclination :wink:

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words. I’m on a voyage of discovery and would like to share the tools that make my life easier and I’m also eager to learn from the experiences of other people. Men and their tools comes to mind (this should not be construed to be disrespectful of our sweet female counterparts) :relaxed:

2 Likes

When I first started dry stone walling the Master Craftsman reckoned that the mattock was the most important bit of equipment he owned.

The adze head can be used to do pretty much anything dig holes, break up sods, lift turf, level ground, grub out weeds, act as a pry bar, it takes a bit of practice but can be used with a great deal of finesse.

The ‘axe’ head can be used for those thicker roots the adze head can’t manage.

Usually my go to when Glass of White - the head gardener says can you dig out that bush etc

With all tools from the humble lump hammer upwards in my experience, and like everything in life yours may be different, I would always go for a wooden handled tool rather than fibre glass.
I find that the vibration is better absorbed through wood.

Not my photo - my mattock is on site and better maintained😃

6 Likes

Thanks - some useful information there.

Thanks, that’s good advice.

1 Like

I went to the Festool roadshow a couple of weeks ago, very nice tools but for the pro market, If I was a young lad starting out in the trade, that would be my choice.

Makita provides the best value for me and Ive seen a few very well worn ones still doing good work.

1 Like

My Mattock with crowbar and axe, essentiall tree root removal kit.

3 Likes

Makita are extremely good tools and value for money - along with Milwauki and DeWalt. Festool have a very good reputation (I only have one of theirs - a corded planer). I’m not sure that they are so much better than the competition, though.
Project Farm on Youtube is a good resource, I think, for comparing brands of various tools, e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpjBJ8aQ3NE

2 Likes

Mattocks are certainly very good for digging. I have the English pattern, as in your photo, and very useful it is too, much easier to dig with than a spade. I would really like to get a Chinese (or Asian) pattern, which doesn’t have the ‘axe’ part, but the main blade is wider and generally larger, so you can lift or pull aside much large amounts of soil. I have seen labourers in Singapore and Malaya use these, along with a wide sort of basket thing into which they pull the spoil in one easy motion of swing and pull.

Whenever there is the need to dig a hole for a post, I would highly recommend a post hole digger:
ae235.jpeg

In the event that a root is encountered which is too deep for an axe to tackle, a digging bar thrusted towards the root makes light work:

4 Likes