Gardening

As is your control of pesticides and herbicides

1 Like

We got these delivered today:

It’s for water storage. The sewer isn’t to good helped by everyone around us having stoney gardens. These containers will act as a buffer so that it won’t increase the pressure on the sewer.

3 Likes

I’ve often thought about getting at least one of these, as I’ve large roof-area captures from house and sheds which can generate rainwater ground run-off in heavier rain, but the problem has been how to position them (and move them!). Standard water butts can only accommodate so much but are much more friendly in terms of moving, hooking-up to gutters et al, albeit they don’t like weather extremes and I’ve lost many to cracking.

Can I ask, as it seems you may suffer from same/similar, what’s the plan?

HL, we’ve put a large garden house in the garden having a roof of 50m2. There is a space between this house and the border and well put them between the gardenhouse and the border. They’re completely out of sight there. Then I’m going to do the pipework and praying for rain.

2 Likes

Thanks – IME, heavy rain on a shallow pitch ~30m2 roof often produces >200 litres of capture. One other barrier for me, has been the (seeming?) need to mount the tanks on a platform to generate gravity feed (as best possible), as I wanted to use the water for lawn care etc,.I then struggled to find a suitable pumping arrangement icon, such that it all became ‘too hard’…a case of more butts please!

There are more ways to skin a cat. I think I’m going to dig a small hole in the ground in front of the lower container so that I can put the bucket there for refil.

1 Like

That’s their future place

1 Like

I think these IBCs are a great idea, cheap to get hold of, robust etc. A family member moved to a small holding a few years ago and us 6 of these daisy chained together behind a large garage/shed collecting rain water. With a small solar pump he uses the water to water a large polytunnel. Very neat solution and remarkable how quickly they fill up with not a great deal of rain.

If and when we get around to demolishing and rebuilding our garages, my plan is to allow space behind to do something similar (although maybe not 6 of them!).

3 Likes

Just be mindful if they’ve ever held chemicals of some sort if buying 2nd-hand. Many sellers represent that they’ve been thoroughly washed-out!?

They’re a great solution if you can mount on a frame and use the gravity feed to feed (say) a much lower lawn.

1 Like

A molehill is considered a serious mountain in the lowlands, HL :slight_smile:

The IBC’s are used, but I cannot detect any smell. I certainly wash them myself too, but I’ve no indication of harmful chemicals. I’ve made jokes with my teenagers about their figures for chemistry at school and party drugs though.

1 Like

I would try to source black IBCs as there is a high chance that algae will grow in them if they are translucent. Otherwise paint them, or cover them.
I think the chances of contamination are pretty low. By the time any residue has been diluted in 1000l of water a few times it will be extremely diluted.

1 Like

I’m going to cover my ibcs. Initially I wanted black ones too, but they are more expensive and a cover should do the job too. A cover has the benefit that it can be removed for inspection.

I saw this when walking in the neighbourhood. Plastic grass and horsetail everywhere. The horsetail was taking it over completely. The neighbours garden was also invaded. Incredibly hot too. Green garden = lower temperature.

2 Likes

I’ve seeded beans but the result is not too good. The leaves start to curl which isn’t a good sign. I’ve used compost as soil and watered them daily. Any idea what I’ve done wrong?

We had this problem last year with a few of our plants, it came down to the peat free compost we used! It just didn’t hold water long enough. I used compost from my heap, with 30% peat free mixed in this year and everything grew well. We also had some peat compost left, so mixed that in where we could.

2 Likes

Yes, we have found that you need start using extra feed immediately……it has little goodness. Garden nurseries are asking for a more extended use of peat themselves……
as there is no alternative, yet we get sold it anyway.

2 Likes

I planted a bowl of red clover , the idea being I could put it on raised platform and get some bee photography without bending over

Haven’t seen any and the clover has gone over , but I was rewarded with this

It’s a vapourer moth caterpillar

9 Likes

I suspect that it’s a case of small plants being too tender to withstand strong summer sun, and the leaves getting scorched. Maybe put them out of direct sunlight, especially in the middle of the day.
Watering once a day is not always enough on sunny days, especially when growing in containers. Perhaps they need more? Also covering the surface with a mulch of grit or gravel can help to reduce moisture loss from the surface of the compost.

2 Likes

Men at work

3 Likes

We thought they had gone away…put a new hedgehog house out last year to encourage them…

seen this evening in the garden…well chuffed :hedgehog:

20 Likes