Gardening

Crocuses on the Green at dusk

I moved some 8ft tree ferns from my yard to the bed in the middle of the Green today (albeit with some help). Absolutely exhausting.

11 Likes

Replanted this beauty today:

I’m not completely sure what it it, but it came from my brother in laws garden and I’ve been promised it’s bee friendly.

3 Likes

I just flashed the pic in front of my wife (a garden designer) and she said “might be a viburnum tinus”.

I then told her I was posting this and she said not to because she needed a closer up pic…

1 Like

That was my first thought too, but yes, it’s hard to tell from that photo.

1 Like

Thanks @BobbyYork @ChrisSU I think you’re right. I hope it survives the move since the shape of it is very nice.

It should be OK if it has kept a reasonable sized rootball. Make sure it doesn’t dry out while it’s getting established. That bare soil should ideally be covered in a nice thick layer of organic mulch.
V. tinus can be pruned, so keeping the shape you want shouldn’t be a problem.
I can’t see any flowers on it - it it’s tinus the white or pink flower heads usually appear in winter.

1 Like

I’ve gone outside and checked. It’s full of these:

There is also another small one in the rear garden and two large ones in the front garden. They have completely different shapes, so I did not recognize them.

2 Likes

Definitely looks like V. tinum to me.

1 Like

Posted here because it’s in the garden. Looking out of the kitchen window the water in the pond was rippling, but there was no rain. Going to check there were at least three pairs of frogs. Or so I thought. Difficult to get a picture due to reflections.
Just check the eyes.

8 Likes

A visitor! Apologies for the poor quality pic - zoomed in on my phone from the kitchen window.

6 Likes

Male sparrowhawk, if I’m not mistaken.

This female came into our garden a few months ago. I got within 10 metres of her because she was intent on consuming the freshly killed pigeon. iPhone images so resolution not great.

7 Likes

My lawn looks like this at the moment.

1 Like

We seem to be at least two weeks ahead in Devon this spring (from the norm) - ferns unfurling and leaves budding on acers in my yard.

And tulips emerging on the Green - a mere fortnight before the early varieties appear.

10 Likes

My cloud tree. Left photo was Aug’20, middle Aug’23 and right was a couple of weeks ago after repotting into a bigger terracotta pot. The pot is huge (actually 84cm across), but doesn’t look it on the photo. Just want some lion claw feet to raise it off the ground now. Probably the hardest thing I’ve done for a while. Trying to lift this plant into the new pot without damaging anything is tricky. There must be an easier way next time. It needs slightly trimming to tidy it up and some caterpillars ate a load of leaves late last autumn before I could treat and kill them. Have to keep your eyes out all the time. It will look better once spring gets underway and even better when it flowers.

It’s a nice gardening project looking after a fine specimen like this. Except repotting it.

10 Likes

A Versailles planter is what you need!

@frenchrooster can you ‘borrow’ a few for us?

3 Likes

Funny you should say that. I’ve been looking at those with removable sides for years (for other plants I have too), but they’re ridiculously expensive. Then I was going to make one by welding a steel frame inside, get it galvanised, then an oak exterior. I could do this fairly easy, but every time I do a job it takes weeks. I bought 3 of the large terracotta pots last August and decided to put the cloud tree in it for speed. It will be ok like this for a good 4 years, so I have time to work something out.

2 Likes

They are indeed very expensive, but are developed well over the years. Cast iron is replaced by aluminum et cetera and they can optionally be equipped with watering and lighting systems. High tech!

I rather have one of these than a Nap 250.

We’re going to finish the plants and trees in the garden first, then a green house and after that the planters.

4 Likes

Taken a few years ago in the back garden.

4 Likes

Wild bees are feeding themselves. There is hardly anything more satisfying for me than to see how animals like my garden.

6 Likes

Totally agree with you

5 Likes