Gardening

The gardiner planted Osmanthus Burkwoodii on various spots in the garden.

They smell very nice. Recommended!

6 Likes

A friend had just written to me about his new super duper Hyundai lawn mower, how he will scarify the ground and put masses of chemical on it

My view

Looking at Mother Nature on the run in the twenty twenties

11 Likes

Nature is more powerful and has solutions for it:

3 Likes

Winter over and next job is power wash the terrace.

5 Likes

bless, do you know what species they are ?

1 Like

Certainly: Gallus gallus domesticus, also known as Chicken. It are the first 2 eggs they give well before eastern.

1 Like

The little tree in front of the left window front side is new as well as the osmanthus right front side. Other plants to come in a few weeks so that the patches are full and finished. We’ve requested a proposal for a hydration system for the full garden which is 4k euros what’s being discussed at the moment.

6 Likes

The tree in the middle is new this week.

2 Likes

And finally a question too :slight_smile:

This is our little red currant. The branches grow vertical, but I seem to remember that my late grandfather always tried to direct branches as horizontal as possible to catch more sunlight. For apples and pears I’m sure he did, but for red currant I’m not.

What’s your opinion?

1 Like

I think for apples and pears you may be describing espalier training. I recall dearly beloved’s grandfather training a single stem of redcurrants on a diagonal against a South facing wall.
All I can find online is something like this Redcurrant Cordons & Pruning - Chris Bowers

1 Like

There are quite a few branches on that plant, so you may want to thin them out a little over the next year or two. Always prune to an outward facing bud to keep the centre of the plant open.
You would treat apples in a similar way, but their pruning is a little more involved, so with currants you don’t have much to worry about.

If you’re leaving the plant in that pot I think your main problem is keeping it watered through the summer. A nice thick mulch on top of that soil would be a good start.

2 Likes

My bee orchids are in mid flower now. Very tricky to grow, so I’m well pleased with these. They each mimic a specific bee to attract the male to pollinate it. Quite amazing really.

Ophrys helenae

Ophrys vernixia

Ophrys ferrum

Ophrys reinholdii

Ophrys mammosa

I have 3 more to flower too.

14 Likes

Wow! I hope I’ll be able to grow them too once I’ve a bit time (kids flown away).

1 Like

Wonderful👍

1 Like

Spring is in the air - six weeks on and the crocuses are a mere memory - everything about to explode into life.

Reminded of that great lyric in the song ‘The First Picture of You’ by The Lotus Eaters:
“See the flowers scream their joy”

6 Likes

@camphuw, do you use the branches of the willows for firewood?

I’ve the problem that my front garden is very wet (300 yrs ago it was a Dutch water channel) and I consider to remove some of the trees and plant willows since they like water.

1 Like

@Ardbeg10y yes Willow does like water … in a corner of my field it is often waterlogged, which is where I planted the willow. The soil is very shallow, so they often blow over in high winds. I have used them for fire wood and they burn well once less than20% moisture. The branches I chip and use them on garden paths, where they rot down and encourage fungal development that feeds the plants in raised beds (see zerodig web site).
If you are going to plant them in your garden they should be a good few metres away from any building.

2 Likes

About a month ago, I had part of the front lawn dug up and a new soakaway installed .

It’s mess, not a blade of grass .

So why not sow with red clover for the bees ?:honeybee::honeybee::honeybee:

2 Likes

If your surface water goes into a soak away then you may be entitled to a reduction in your water charges.

Phil

2 Likes

Thanks, yes, the reduction in paying any money to Thames Water is welcome. I live in a terraced house and I will make sure to include my neighbours when I write.

Best wishes

Ian