Gardening

Lovely touch with windows.

2 Likes

Purchased pre-owned for a few quid via eBay, presumably little vent window openers from a bay window that got replaced. Old 1980s double glazed units in original 1930s wood frames. It took a bit of belt sander action to remove multi layers of paint and expose the wood.

Well past their sell by date for a house but perfect for a shed :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

7 Likes

Old paint back in the day, was full off lead,
Be careful of any dust particles,
A chemical to remove the paint is better for your health,
Shed looks good :+1:

1 Like

Thanks for the detail.

1 Like

Not to worry my grumpy old friend, i was covered in PPE things, respirator, goggles, ear muffs too because my belt sander is absolute screamer. Plus; Henry Hoover had his trunk stuck on the sander dust exit attachment, and he was still smiling after.

Meanwhile the shed’s had a second coat,
and the guttering is back on better than before :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

12 Likes

update on the wild life pond,
Oxygenation plants doing well,
both flowering,
Lilly has 2 leaves so far,
Lots of little flying things,
Pond skaters,
Newts,

10 Likes

Cut back a few things, planted a few things, weeded top section, cut grass. That’s me done for the day

Atb
Kk

14 Likes

Had a tiny amount of this last year, it’s gone wild this year.

Solanum dulcamara I think.

5 Likes

I’m not allowed a pond.

Had to settle for repurposing these playpits:

5 Likes

This is a Verbascum, I don’t know which one though, it’s about 8 feet/2.4 metres tall. A self set from plants my wife planted about 12 years ago.

10 Likes

Hoggie is there!

9 Likes

My lawn mower has broken down after many years of service. It’s an old fuel based mower. I’m looking to replace it and am eying the Bosch GRA 18v2 46. Any other recommendations for battery powered mowers?

Marketing image:

2 Likes

Looks good. I have gone down the Makita route and their battery lawnmower works well for me.

But I would advise that the main consideration is the batteries. In comparison to the cost of the kit they are the expensive item.

I went for Makita as I have the hedge trimmer, long pole hedge trimmer, lawn scarifier, strimmer and chain saw. All of these use the same batteries and as bits of kit without batteries are relatively inexpensive.

So first consideration is do you just want the lawnmower or do you want more garden kit and are say Bosch batteries interchangeable.

It’s all about the batteries.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. I have lots of the normal consumer stuff from Bosch but I don’t like the consumer level lawnmowers of any of the platforms on that level. So I have to ‘level up’ (sorry for any associations caused). I may want a mobile chainsaw too and an edge trimmer so the battery consideration is a good one. This mower need dual battery: 2x18 volts.

1 Like

I worked in property and noticed Makita was one of the most popular brands on site. A lot of the guys reckoned they were the most reliable.

2 Likes

@Ardbeg10y here was a thread on the topic last year.

1 Like

We have a larger eGo. It’s expensive but it is excellent, particularly the grass collection and battery.

Phil

1 Like

I use Stihl products and they have interchangeable batteries between products too. And they come in a nice patriotic orange…

3 Likes

I generally avoid battery powered tools where possible, and certainly wouldn’t bother with a battery powered lawnmower. Battery tech has obviously improved enormously over the last few years, but even so a mains powered tool wins hands down on power to get the job done in most cases. They are also cheaper and better for the environment.

On the other hand, I do have a battery powered chainsaw. It’s small and underpowered compared to a petrol driven saw, or even a mains electric saw, with a low speed that make cuts rather slow. That does make it much safer though, and it’s very easy to handle so I prefer it for felling and trimming small trees.

1 Like

It is always a compromise,