Gardening

Get a grip, man, this is the Naim forum! Only the biggest tool with the fattest, most expensive power supply will do :crazy_face:

The eGo I have is in no way underpowered. We have quite a lot of grass on a 2/3 acre plot. Unlike our previous mowers this one really blows and compacts plenty of grass into the large bag. The one we have has a large battery that draws 400w and is mostly charged in half an hour. We were advised to get the larger (18ā€) at Ā£600.

I have a set of Stihl two stokes for some other jobs. I canā€™t envision using battery equivalents. One is their Multi tool machine - the pole pruner is my favourite, and will cut through 12ā€ chords just about and will certainly not recoil towards me.

Phil

Thatā€™s me on The Naughty Boys Step

Donā€™t have a massive lawn, but have had 2 consumer level Bosch battery powered mowers.

Reasonable performance but the first oneā€™s charger died within 18 months which was unacceptable and I had a hell of a job getting Homebase to replace it in favour of a slightly newer model which has been ok, though the collapsible bits you push keep coming out of the base and are flimsy.

Having got a new Stihl pole cutter recently instead of DeWalt (my primary ecosystem) Iā€™m very tempted to try their lawnmower running on the same battery as the pole cutter lasts for ages on the midrange recommended battery.

That said, if thatā€™s in the Bosch pro range the price seems fairly good compared to my consumer Bosch mower.

1 Like

Thanks AC. Iā€™ve been reading about the mowers and I think I just go for the one I saw. Itā€™s prosumer level and it looks good enough for me.

The good news: I didnā€™t mow my lawn yet this year :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Go for a mulching blade optionā€¦ā€¦grass collection, no more.
I use Husqvarna as i had their battery system, but i would not want to collect the grass, anymore.

2 Likes

It supports mulching. Mulching requires frequent mowing though and Iā€™m not sure if thatā€™s going to work for me. And ā€¦ the chicks love the fresh cut grass.

I will try the mulching though, itā€™s supposed to be good for the garden.

2 Likes

Let us know how you get on.

Ok, stupid question probably but how do you pick mint?

I love mint but invariably once the pots look great the thrips or whatever reduce it to a sorry state within days.

I bought a pot of something or other mint at the garden centre last years and didnā€™t put it in a larger container soon enough but it has taken root in a pot I ā€˜rested it inā€™. The mint growth is massive and so aromatic, but only a few days ago it was attacked from the growing tips. Discovered some small web laying caterpillars are responsible.

Planning to freeze a lot of it as it smells divine.

Do I need to take the affected mint ā€˜sprigsā€™ (18 inches or so) back to the root or just harvest the good leaves and get rid of the bad ones allowing for regrowth?

We have many herbs in the gardenā€¦ā€¦i wake pretty early. So does our house bunny. He gets cleaned out, let loose in the back of our house. I pop into the garden for his fresh breakfast, parsley and mint.
This morning a young Roe deer was having a nibble. Seen many Muntjac over the years in the garden, but not a a Roe deer.

2 Likes

Wow, envious of your experiences.

We used to have house and garage (air-conditioned/heated!) rabbits but not for many years. They were delightful with their own characters but incredibly expensive due to dental problems, possibly genetic or possibly due to feeding ā€˜pet shop foodsā€™ - they loved fresh veg especially kale (oxalate issues) and herbs.

1 Like

@Alley_Cat i use just the leaves to make a hot drinks
Boil kettle
Pour into cup
3-4 leaves
Leave to seep,
Slight stir,

I have many mints in my collection

Apple mint ( great with fresh peas)
Pineapple mint. ( make a cordial)
Strawberry mint
Black currant mint ( new one not tried yet but smells lush)
Berries and cream mint
Chocolate mint, ( my fav)
Spearmint
Spanish mint
Mexican mint ( indoor)

2 Likes

Oh and
Lime mint I use some of it with the pineapple when I make a cordial

That is not my experience. I guess it depends on the mower, but Iā€™ve been using the same electric mulching lawnmower for 18 years and it has no problem chewing its way through thick grass, at the end of No Mow May, for example.

1 Like

I bought some chocolate mint a few years ago from a National Trust garden - highly unusual I thought. Itā€™s not come to much this year for some reason.

How and where you growing it?
Mine is in a large pot with multi compost
Gets about 90% of sunlight
Rest is in shade,
Late autumn I cut it down to about 50mm then put a mulch over the top,
Could always take cuttings and start again,

3 Likes

4 Likes

Same pot and reasonably sunny location for a few years - maybe the pot needs some new compost/soil by now. Lots of little weeds I need to thin out in the pot too - ordinarily would have done so by now.

Mint is a bit of a tricky one. It wants to spread and likes a lot of space. In a pot it will get restricted quick, which will stunt its growth. The leaves wonā€™t be produced at a fast rate and so youā€™re left with tough old leaves. In the ground it romps away with loads of fresh soft leaves, but it spreads everywhere and can be a nuisance.

2 Likes

Yes, the leaves get quite tough in a potbound plant. I find that dividing and repotting every couple of years keep the plant fresh and healthy.
I certainly wouldnā€™t want to plant one in the ground, they soon get out of control.

2 Likes