GCSE results

Just waiting for my daughter to get ready so we can go and get her results. She has had plenty of problems this year so there is much trepidation in our household.

Here’s wishing anyone in the same position gets the results they want today. Good luck one and all.

7 Likes

Yes, good luck to your daughter and all having results today.

We’ll be in this position next year but have interim results this morning, I don’t think I’d realised how much more stressful the exam system is for everyone these days, especially with the continuous assessment elements which means the students are constantly under pressure, or so it seems.

Best wishes to all.

1 Like

We are not allowed to go until 9 am. I’ve cut my toenails and hoovered the hall, stairs and landing to pass the time. I’m sure it’s worse than my own results day.

1 Like

Good luck to your daughter for later! Hope she (and others in the same situation) receive the grades to move forward.

We we went through the same last week with the A Level results day, so know how stressful this build up and anticipation can be.

1 Like

Good luck to everyone who had family getting results today, hope they get what they need. It does seem much more pressured that my day (mutter mutter hole in road).
And similarly to any teachers. It’s a tough time on both sides.

1 Like

From experience as a candidate, parent and teacher, it’s probably worst as a parent!

Both last week and today, I’m relieved to say that only one of my nearly 70 pupils and tutees had a bumpy ride and that’s been more or less resolved now.

Very happy to advise generally on this if it would help anyone, though it’s likely to be variations on ‘talk openly and honestly to the school’!

Mark

1 Like

My son has gone to collect his results at 9.30. We are forbidden to go with him. I am currently looking out the window for his return.

1 Like

Best wishes to all families receiving results, as we used to say, “I hope you get the results your work deserves”.

As a retired state secondary school headteacher in the UK, I always found days when results were downloaded and processed both nerve wracking but also uplifting - who couldn’t be pleased to see successful young people celebrating?

An observation - experience tells me that one group of young people will fixate on the one grade that is lower than the others / or their expectations. The other group will feign indifference to disappointing grades and just use it to feed their preconceptions.

There are exceptions, but I would encourage all families to go OTT on the celebrations - this is the ultimate chance to ‘Catch Them Being Good’ and nothing encourages like success - at whatever level.

4 Likes

:crossed_fingers:t2:

1 Like

We are happy!!!

It was nice to see a great bunch of kids happy with their results.

8 Likes

Best wishes to all GCSE students collecting their results today.

Personally, I hope that by the time my granddaughter reaches 16 (she’s currently in primary school) they will have been scrapped or at least replaced. But that’s perhaps a topic for another thread.

Roger

1 Like

Replacement (of GCSEs) is probably only a matter of time. Their existence in their current form has been being quietly questioned in education for a few years now: the obstacles are negotiable but it will take time to convince some people - including politicians!

Mark

1 Like

Congratulations!

1 Like

The hardest part of GCSEs is trying to explain what the grade numbers mean to his grandparents, especially to my mother’s deteriorating hearing. :joy:

Me: He got an 8 in Geography.
Nan: (Mishears 8 for a B) A B? that’s good.
Me: No its equilant to A*

The conversation carries on with further confusion and frustration.

3 Likes

I?

Sorry, non-native speaker here.

Referring to myself in person. Hope that makes sense.

2 Likes

To add to confusion, in Wales they are still letter based grades up to A*. Not sure about Scotland/NI.

We also have bizarre assessments such as he/she’s on track with 19 and a target of 21 - you assume 21 is the ‘top target’ it isn’t, just what they think the child might attain - absolutely confusing and I don’t pretend to understand it at all. Why can’t they say (or example) highest attainment would be 30, your child is likely to get 23, they are on track at this stage in the year achieving 21 currently.

There’s a similar thing in England. At one point my daughters “highest” attainable grade was 6 despite having 3 more years to go. It was because if she took the exam at that point, she would only get a 6. It makes no sense to me!

1 Like

At least here, these seem to be metrics used by government statisticians to try to prove that children’s skills improve via their education when in reality they just reflect they know more as they get older and learn more.

1 Like

Same outcome here, we’re delighted.

Odd to see some kids almost instantly bragging on social media though, I find that very odd and self-aggrandising.

2 Likes