6. innovation in live shows
  7. able to withstand the loss of a lead singer and leader
  8. Steve Hackett, i mean come on man
  9. nice guys; no “dirty” stories
  10. friends from the very start not put together or manufactured
1 Like

Takes all sorts I suppose. :roll_eyes::sleeping:

1 Like

I would also add solo work, except Tony Banks has not done much, you can’t say that about MR and PC
also part of other bands and tours, esp PC

I am not an early Genesis fan, got hooked on Selling until Duke are the gold years for me - seen them a number of times, raised the rock live shows bar (yes with others)

I would have to say if I’m honest they are 2nd to Pink Floyd for me

1 Like

There are others with more!

is no measure of how good a band is

The band existed after, but were not as good, so that is a questionable statement

How a group gets together is of no relevance to how good they are musically

Ah, now I see what you’re saying: Genesis is the best musical group he’s been in!

2 Likes

I have the best part of 1000 CDs ripped to my NAS and a few hundred LPs yet there’s not a single one by Genesis. I wonder why that is :rofl:

11 Likes

I don;t have a truly best musical group based on my playback of so many artists or bands, too many greats over the years.

My measure is which band has the most albums that, IMHO, are really excellent and continue through the decades. Using that criteria and I’d have to plump for Genesis with PF a close second. In both these cases they have the most albums that I think are true greats. I’m not sure of the other factors you list but going by the most ‘great’ albums then it’s Genesis and PF.

3 Likes

I feel certain in this context that PF must be referring to Peter Frampton! (Sorry)!

Peter

1 Like

Slightly more seriously, the best musical group for me is the one I pull down off the shelf and play most often. And that varies throughout the year!

Peter

1 Like

There ain’t not greatest but their Gabriel era albums have a place on my record shelves and have continued to be played over the years, even Genesis to Revelations, despite Jonathan King’s involvement holding them back, how good could it have been without that?
I had cassettes of two of the post Gabriel albums, Trick and Three but never bothered filling in the gaps, or replacing them with vinyl or digital versions.

It’s because most of their music is tedious self indulgent crap. In my opinion of course. I once saw Steve Hackett play at the Brighton Dome and it was the most boring concert I’ve ever been to. There is no ‘best’ group. One may have a favourite but that’s entirely different.

12 Likes

@yankfish - are you their manager or something?

2 Likes

Genesis at their peak were no doubt very clever and I can enjoy but I tend to find all prog rather tedious which is strange because I love classical music.

Regards,

Lindsay

It is almost as if you read my mind, spooky!

Roxy Music.

Check.

Bryan Ferry
Brian Eno
Phil Manzanera

Check.

Check.

Check.

Check.

Not sure what the relevance is. Lost major musician and ‘sound creator’ though.

Phil Manzanera.

Not sure what the relevance is.

I think Ferry is probably an objectionable individual on several levels, but he’s got a fantastic voice.

More interested in the music than the story behind a band really.

Roxy Music probably aren’t one of my top-played bands anyway…

1 Like

I’ve never thought that being accomplished musicians was anything to do with being a great band. My faves include the Ramones, the Clash, the Faces and VU. Maybe one truly accomplished musician between them (John Cale), but 16 or so of the best rock albums ever recorded.

On the other hand, Genesis, Clapton, ELP, Queen and others of that ilk drive me from the room screaming.

2 Likes

The arts can never be about who is the best as it’s not what art is about.
Definitely the path to insanity.

2 Likes

Gen- who? I think I can say that, having been involved pretty much my whole life in music (as a photographer) I’ve never once listened to a Genesis album or had the urge to. For so called ‘progressive’ rock I’ll turn to the Germans any day - Can, Cluster, Agitation Free, Kraftwerk, and the mighty Popol Vuh, to name a few.

2 Likes

What I would comment, if I may, is if you have never listened to a Genesis album then perhaps it’s difficult to judge 100% either way on the arguement.

Saying this with all due respect as a point of discussion and NOT to cause an arguement or similar :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Also with respect, @charlesphoto wasn’t judging. He says he’s never felt the urge to listen to a Genesis album.

FWIW, I don’t think I’ve ever managed to listen to one all the way through.

3 Likes