Genesis is the best musical group of all time

Fair enough…

2 Likes

Clever or not, they were complete and utter schitt. Always were and always will be. And I say that as someone who is quite fond of Peter Gabriel’s solo output.

1 Like

I get your point. But having been born in 1964, I’ve heard enough music like Genesis to know I don’t need to go there (and pretty sure I must have heard them accidentally at some point). But each to their own - it’s the hyperbolic statement the OP made we are objecting to, not their personal taste.

2 Likes

It’s not so much hyperbolic but definitive, absolute.

Like saying that Manet was the best painter, Faure the best composer, Keats the best poet, and so on. As said above, art is not like that. We all like what we like, and that doesn’t mean it’s better or worse than what anyone else likes.

Other than Genesis, ELP, Queen or Porcupine Tree of course, all of which are unmitigated crap. And that’s a fact. You read it here.

1 Like

Not really a Genesis fan, but due to discussion here, listened to SEBTP this morning. It’s OK. It’s part of a gap in my musical listening, I guess, but not sure I’ll ever become a huge fan.

Did we change the OP’s mind yet? :wink:

the point is the sum of all that makes them the greatest band of all that.

roxy music only became really popular when bryan ferry completely took over and then
they broke up anyway

8 albums in 10 years isn’t “longevity”

comparing “Manzenera” to hackett is laughable at best

eno hated the band and was only in for two albums so hardly counts

roxy had 18 members, hardly a cohesive outfit

yikes, that escalated quickly

here comes the “ANGRYfish” with his “you can’t say a band is the best but you can repeat over and over that their crap with no argument whatsoever”

1 Like

i’m really just laughing at how so many are so angry and triggered really

1 Like

poor musical taste?

agreed and that’s why it’s my first criteria but that alone
doesn’t set them apart from others

It’s a red rag to bull declaring any band as “best”. Some will agree , others will disagree. Some may have a near pathological hatred for a particular band, others may be in raptures over some other band that you may consider to be talentless dross - let it not be said that Naim fans lack a certain degree of “passion” when it comes to music.

Personally, I reckon the run of albums from Trespass to Selling England By The Pound were terrific. Some will be nodding their head with sage agreement, while others here will be wondering whether I can ever be forgiven. Such is musical taste…

13 Likes

The best concert i ever saw was the original Kate Bush way back in time, Genesis at Birmingham NEC…but as i posted much earlier…no best band. Not a great Bob Dylan fan…then the recent “rough and rowdy” is released, which i like, time moves on. I have some go to albums, and bands…but with streaming new music pops up all the time…its all great to me, even if i would not buy or even listen to it.

I don’t think anyone’s ‘angry’ or ‘triggered’.

Unless, of course, ‘triggered’ means motivated to reply.

That Phil Collins tried to push in front of me in a food queue once.

Conversation went:

Me - “Oi!”

Him - “Sorry mate”.

Anyway, there’s a good reason why Punk happened.

5 Likes

@Proterra Stop trolling - you’re worse than the OP! :rofl:

Genesis? Hah - Spinal Tap trounce them on every one of those measures. And they had exploding drummers - beat that!

2 Likes

Old Muppets show?

2 Likes