Getting Apple Hi-Res lossless to my Nova

Not officially.

There was an official (pure) security update across all Apple platforms; I assume, the relation to the update above is speculation.
I haven’t checked the binaries though; only following release notes myself.

PS: the new major releases from Apple will be released coming Monday, September 20th.

I haven’t seen anything, but…as I said, it seems to me a dramatic improvement in sound over the last time I used it (which was within the last few days.)

I am wondering if it just me or does anyone else notice?

It’s still aac unless v15 has been released , so maybe it’s a different master?

The other option is to take a QoBuz subscription and use the native Naim app to listen to hi res lossless. Basically rather than spending money in buying additional hardware (SPDIF cable and converter), spend that money on QOBUZ subscription. Seems like a much cleaner option.

3 Likes

Hi Mark… have you used an Airport hub with optical out to the DAC?

That’s how I stream all my lossless files from either the iPad Pro or iPhone 8

Hmm. Interesting. How do you know that you are getting lossless? Yes I have an airport express. I actuary have 2 off the older type and 1 of the new type. Which do you use?

Hi Mark… all my CDs are ripped as lossless then loaded on the iPad.

The Airport hub has a headphone Jack that permits either a 3.5mm RCA out or optical using a mini toslink connector.

Airplay 2 is marvellous for multi-room… including the Muso :slight_smile:

That’s the old Airport Express which is no longer available.

Correct; widely available though.

https://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/airport-express-audio-quality-2014.htm

You can use an Apple TV once you set it up with HDMI & a TV…

I might give it a whirl.

Easiest solution is to run an optical connection to your LG television. Can’t understand why people bother with these workarounds when sound quality will be impaired vs ethernet.

That’s as maybe IF you have a TV.

Meanwhile, optical digital via Airplay remains jitter-free & plays lossless files effortlessly. It’s also very easy to configure.

YMMV

I have a TV that doesn’t have HDMI audio…(What is that called?) so with these I can, and thus plug it into the Nova? I currently use the analog out from the TV. And again, with the Toppin D10, you don’t use it’s DAC but the Nova’s is used? And does the Toppin display the bit rate (is that what it’s called?)

1 Like

But…Apple Music is sooooooooo mush better to use…easier, more convenient, more features. And I have a year Qobuz subscription.

Got it from Amazon - HDMI adaptors

1 Like

It’s HDMI ARC (audio return channel) that you want. Nearly all TVs now have it, usually via what appears to be a regular HDMI port but labelled as ARC.
If you don’t have this, does it have an optical out? This lacks some of the convenience functions of ARC, but is usually much more reliable and might avoid adding a converter.

No, this is an old not smart Sanyo TV. That is my next purchase. So, what is the best TV to get with an iPad/ Apple and Naim Nova? Have I heard Sanyo has a problem with Naim? Aside from that, what TV does work well and have what I want?

All TVs will have HDMI ARC and optical out these days. The problem with ARC is that it is a loosely applied standard with manufacturers implementing variations of it to suit themselves. Even when you get it working there is no guarantee it won’t stop for no obvious reason.
Optical, on the other hand, is usually very reliable. You just don’t get volume control on the TV remote and automatic input switching that you get from HDMI.

1 Like

I just ordered an Apple lightening to USB3 camera adapter and a Toppin D10. Do I need another cable to connect the Toppin to the Nova? What there?

Only Spdif to Nova, which uses BNC I believe so you need a rca to BNC spdif cable.