Getting Apple Hi-Res lossless to my Nova

This? Is there different quality or…Clare? Is this what I want with a Nova? https://www.amazon.com/CIMPLE-CO-Cable-Black-Professional/dp/B06XKQRSGT

Yes, that would work. I’m not convinced by high price SPDIF cables, but maybe best to avoid no-name suppliers that lurk on ebay and amazon. A couple of good quality lower priced brands I’ve used would be Gotham or Mark Grant HDX1.

I believe it needs to be 75ohms for digital. Custom cables will make a decent one up for you.

Question. What source setting do you have the Atom on? I have the Nova and got the Toppin D10 today. I have an iPhone and the lightening to USB 3 camera adapter. The readout on the Toppin has been confusing me. At times it was 44, even when I was on hi res (both Qobuz and Apple)…where should me source be set? And when I play Apple Music now the Nova screen says Airplay…

Ah…I just found this “Lossless songs and albums in Apple Music are indicated with a wavy line icon. When playing a song, you can tap or click this icon to see the exact resolution of the file that’s streaming.” But the Toppin still reads 44.1 again…I’m confused…

I’m using the Toppin D10 with my Mac Mini for playing through the Atom HE. The Mac doesn’t change rate automatically, so the Toppin will just receive what I manually set. I couldn’t get the Topping to work with my iPhone or iPad - I don’t think my USB adaptors I’m using provided enough voltage. I did use another convertor successfully though and the Atom or Nova would display whatever rate was playing. You need to make sure you switch the input on your Nova to the correct one (I used Digital 1). Don’t select Airplay on your iPhone, it should just play though the USB.

1 Like

As I’ve recently updated my apple devices to IOS 15.1 etc, I thought I’d give it another try with the Topping. It still won’t play, and the display on the Toppin shows 44.1 the whole time as that’s the default.

Did you connect it to the Nova Spdif in and select it’s input. Sounds like you still using Airplay to the Nova

I don’t think the Topping is compatible with the iPhone or iPad as it needs a bit too much power. I only use with my Mac Mini.

The device I use with my iPhone or iPad with the Nova is the ‘InLine® USB HD Adapter Hi-Fi (24-bit 192kHz) to Digital Coaxial/Toslink/I2S Audio Converter’, which I got from Amazon. I connect it to the Nova with an RCA to RCA digital coax lead.InLine

With this camera adapter power is supplied so the phone charges and the Toppin is powered.

I have the Toppin into digital 5 and selected that source. There were times, as I said, the Toppin displayed 192 (I think it was) but then it changed back to 44.1 PCM (no matter the source). It sounds great but I wanted to see the rate. Also, through the phone to Toppin to Digital input I need to have the Apple Music like at full volume. With it at a mid (normal) setting for volume on the phone’s Apple Music, the volume is really low.

Connected to Nova Digital 1 and using an optical cable.

The Toppin is powered with the camera adapter I showed. With your “Inline” you have it into a digital input on the Nova with what cord? I can’t figure out why the Toppin did and now doesn’t show anything but the 44.1…

I’ve connected the Topping and Inline adaptors with QED Coaxial Digital Leads.

I’ve also used optical ones with success. When connected, the volume is solely controlled by the Atom/Nova. The volume on my iPhone/iPad/Mac are disabled.

That’s weird, my iPhone volume is functioning. Again I used optical. I do have the BNC to RCA coming. Clare said she’d look into it but hasn’t returned with any info.

Sorry, I meant to say I leave them fixed at full volume. The apple devices remember the setting. The volume on the Atom/Nova is then controlled as normal.

1 Like

Well… :thinking:…ok…sheesh…I just dumped and re-loaded Yes “Close to the Edge.” It is Hi Res lossless digital master (I’ve done this with several albums to see if the Toppin rate changes.) This time…now…it did. No Idea why…

…and no artwork…

1 Like

I will say…this is amazing sound. The cymbals are insane. Sound like they are in the room. Dangerous. It’s so clean you will be listening at 100 dB and not realize it.

Yes, no artwork, it’s just an audio stream. I’ve just ordered the USB 3 camera adaptor from apple to see if my iPhone can use the Topping when powered. I’m currently listening to the Yes track you mentioned.

1 Like

Make sure you ordered the one I linked. There is another that doesn’t have the power cord.

Confession…I did wiggle the plugs… :shushing_face:

Yeah. I just dumped “So” and reloaded it (Apple master Hi Res lossless)…it’s showing 96 and sounds incredible. I bought a year of Qobuz but won’t be renewing that.

Ah…you have the iPhone at full volume. Yeah.

But, as I said it’s dangerous. I just started Quadrophenia (I’m picking favs in Hi res) and it didn’t seem loud. Checked the sound meter and average of 85 and peak like 108…sheesh.

I’m realizing a couple things here (or wondering) with the Apple devices. Apple music library. So…my artists are shared between the devices but not the downloads. Meaning if I download on the iPad it’s not replicated on the iPhone. I have 1400+ albums. The quandary is where do I want downloads (particularly the Hi Res ones?) I have monster storage on both devices so that’s not an issue, just the action of doing so.

So you are using both an iPad and iPhone (as am I.) At the moment I’m thinking that rather than primarily using the iPhone as I’d planned (therefore leaving the iPad free to play with elsewhere) I’m going to want the iPad with the Nova to display the track. So…I’m going to need the other camera adapter for the iPad’s USB-c right? The iPad needs the same setup correct? Or I could get a USB-c to lightening adapter, but that’s pretty cheesy.