Getting Apple Hi-Res lossless to my Nova

As well as the powered camera adaptor, I’ve also ordered a Lightning to USB C adaptor to test my iPads with the Topping. I can’t think of any other way to connect the powered adaptor and Topping to USB C. I’ll let you know the outcome. I don’t usually go much above 70dB.

1 Like

Yeah…I’m in a house on a mountain so I can rock it. Lol…I usually play no higher than 80. New toy tho…lol.

Yeah. That’s exactly what I’m going to do. Well…wouldn’t it be the same camera adapter so it can be plugged in, just a USB-C rather than lightening? I did read here someone (forget who) did say the sound was better from the iPad. I don’t know why but that makes me curious.

I’m thinking when I get a new iPad my current 2018 iPad Pro will become a dedicated music device with the Nova.

Hej guys,
for iPads:

• Either it has a Lightning port, then treat it like an iPhone. (With camera adapter including power connection.)
  • Or it has a USB-C port; then you just need a USB cable, if the D10 works from USB alone, the iPad must provide sufficient power for that (to be compliant with the USB 3.x specification.)
    • This of course will drain the battery of the iPad, hence
    • when you want to charge it while driving the D10, put any powered USB-Hub in between, which then can power the D10 and the iPad at the same time.
2 Likes

That’s exactly my question. What does the camera adapter do? As in the Lightening to device side? What it does isn’t needed when using the iPad? I have an iPad Pro with USB-C. Ok…found this. It connects the USB-C to a USB, also a USB-C charging cable, plus a gaming connection. That would allow us to play and charge in one step, rather that have another connection. Of course, it’s $69…lol

USB-C is totally standard, you don’t have to shop at Apple just to get the right cable or a USB hub.

Lightning is their proprietary thing, which needs these connecters to offer USB - the “big” iPads have native USB. Problem solved.

I’ve just received the powered camera adaptor from apple. It works with my iPhone 11 Pro Max and the Topping, even without connecting a power adaptor. The standard non-powered camera adaptor from apple won’t - the phone pops up a message to say there’s not enough power. I retried my iPad Pro 12.9 5th gen and my iPad Mini 6 with a standard USB-C non-powered adaptor from apple and the Topping. They now both work with the volume full up.

Using Apple Music to full potential requires a wired connection which poses the inconvenience of needing to be at the device to attend to music. Plus using an iPhone leaves you without a screen or artwork. A iPad provides the art and visual satisfaction but it’s wired and at the equipment. It just occurred to me a solution to that tho is to mirror the screen of the iPad to your Mac which gives you control from your seat. That would work correct?

You mean, have the Mac drive the output and perform the user interface on the iPad?

Which method of screen sharing are you looking for? Screen mirroring, like sending iPad display to the Mac (new feature in macOS 12)? - That’s based on Airplay, and I would be very surprised, if Apple would transfer the music lossless/hires through that connection. (But I do not know.)

If you connect the 2 via sidecar, you may be able to control the Music app on the Mac via the iPad; but I don’t how well the usability / reach is for this solution.

What I used for many years (basically since I used the Mac for playback - both classically wired or via AirPlay) is the “remote” app from iPhone/iPad to remote control the iTunes (new: Music) app on the Mac. However, it’s not the most stylish interface and I have not the faintest clue, if it works with Apple Music service - it technically worked very well with all the local libraries of iTunes.

Ah…that’s right. If the Mac was driving it would be wireless. The Luna has Mac to Mac or Mac to iPad, not iPad to Mac I now see. Losing the Naim’s screen and losing remote control using the AM hi res are the drawbacks to Apple Music. The sound is great tho. And AM is so much nicer than Qobuz function. I may keep both tho. Do you purchase iTunes music? I’m just getting into steaming, have no physical copies of music anymore (all lost in a hurricane) and am deciding how to purchase and catalogue music. (Is this too expansive or sidetracked for here?)

It’s not optimal, but you can use a Mac audio output wired to a DAC/streamer. I’ve used the optical out in the headphone output on an older Mac, or there is the USB option on the newer models. But I think there are even issues with having to set the bit rates in the audio settings. Remote control would be the iOS remote app, or an app that will give you control of the Mac, like Parallels Access.

But really, Apple just haven’t got hi-res properly set up for this type of tidy interface with a streamer. Hopefully changes to Airplay will fix that, or direct integration into the Naim app. Personally, I would flag the idea and use Tidal and Qobuz and look at Roon as an interface.

1 Like

Well…I love Apple Music. Play an album and similar albums follow. Or tell Siri to play a set of a band and that with related stuff plays. Or randomly play all your library. All are great options. And lyrics. And videos. I’ve wondered if Roon is as nice and easy, but I have AM grandfathered forever for free on my cell service as long as I keep my package. So there’s that. And, using the Topping D10 to connect my iPhone playing the hi res is pretty stunning. Ah…and when an album finishes and autoplay is engaged, it also now plays everything: hi res and lossless. So that’s fun. I was just cooking and heard a new selection and it was obviously hi res…I looked…yup. That’s cool too. I do have Qobuz and may renew at the end of the year. I’m now debating what and from where I should purchase music, plus where to store. (Someone give me the definitive “do this!”)

I’m wondering if I need something purchased. As long as I have it (AM) I have it (the music), but then I’m at Apple’s mercy there. I have the Qobuz premier or whatever where buying is cheaper but haven’t yet.

With the premier Qobuz music is cheaper. I have the subscription but haven’t purchased. But that’s my question, why?!

Hi
do you use your iPhone with the Toppin? or do you use a computer output from Apple Music?
thanks
Aubrey

I’m now using my iPhone. But I just ordered a Mac Mini and will be running it with either that or my iPad. I like the Topping tho. For the iPhone I use the Camera adapter.

i just ordered a Mac Mini. You use the USB-A out on your Mini into the Topping directly, it supplies the Topping with power correct? And when I use the Topping with my iPhone it displays the rate on the Nova also. it says the input source playing and rate.

With a mac you will only get one set output sample rate based on what you set the midi settings in Mac os. Their app does not support exclusive mode for bit perfect sample rate switching like the iOS App. So it will up or down scale to what the Mac is set as or you have to change the rate manually for each album that’s a different rate to the last to get true lossless. Both Tidal and Qobus support exclusive mode and rate switching

1 Like

Ah. Well…I guess I’ll use the iPad for sure then eh? Actually that was a thought to replace the lost screen art on the Nova when using a wired Apple Music connection. I’m now using the iPhone but will prefer the larger screen of the iPad. So thank you. I didn’t know that, and it’s a bit surprising the Mac is so restricting. iPads (mine is a Pro) are amazing though. But as the main music source I’ll lose the iPad as my toy so the Mac will replace that.

Yes, I have the Mac directly attached to the Topping with the Mac supplying power. I usually leave my Mac set at 24/192. But as CrystalGypsy said, to get the best sound, you need to switch it manually per album/track. It will be interesting to see what Spotify does with their Mac app and how Naim implements the hardware connect app.

1 Like

It makes me think why its taking Spotify so long to come out with thier upgrade migjt be they have now take nto account for a lot more variables for connect as it will need to know what each device can support if doing hires to know what to send on or resample if not supported.