Glastonbury 2019

My favourites were:

1. Janelle Monáe;
  2. Miley Cyrus (surprisingly); and
  3. Aurora.

I already have a few albums by Janelle Monáe, but her music just sounds better live. She has a gig in Manchester tonight, which I don’t think has sold out.

I’ll be checking out Aurora’s albums as I had never heard of her before.

Just finished watching an electric set by The Streets it took them a while to get going but after the first few songs they just exploded. Mike Skinner was on top form and got the crowd really going. Excellent my favourite set of the weekend.

1 Like

Ooh. I wonder if I can find it on catch up. The Streets are great, though I’m still not happy that he got The Streets domain before me.

2 Likes

You can find it on BBC Iplayer Glastonbury day 3 the Streets

1 Like

Nah, she has a gig in Manchester tomorrow night and it has definitely sold out now. I will be there and have studiously avoided her at Glastonbury to further enhance seeing her in Independence Day and Mrs. H’s birthday. Last album was a revelation.

Thanks, I’ll check it out. I must see Nick Cave with Kylie too.

What’s the story with The Streets domain HH I’m presuming it wasn’t for a Coronation Street fan’s forum?

It’s simply our family surname. We had to settle for something more prosaic in the end.

Still in recovery mode from (I think) my 15th Glastonbury. For me, the best set I saw all weekend was Sharon Van Etten on the John Peel Stage (it’s on iplayer).

2 Likes

@mikehughescq, I’m jealous that you’re seeing Janelle Monáe.

Unfortunately I couldn’t go as I’m recovering at home from surgery. Also, I would have to fly to Manchester from where I live.

Oh ok and perhaps that’s even a nicer story HH.

I wasn’t able to watch any of Glastonbury last week, so I’m slowly catching up now. I’m watching the Tame Impala set and it’s very enjoyable. I know some of the songs as I bought their third album, “Currents”, last year.

Enjoyable evening of set pieces and costume changes. Not my usual type of thing but love the latest album and the whole family had a great night out. If I can ever AirDrop the video from iPhone to iPad and then to YouTube then I will do so.

That said, my favourite moment was when the three women who’d brought their bells from Cathedral Gardens and Yoko’s bells of peace thing rang them one song in; triggered a girl fight which included punches thrown and at least one person struck with a bell. Bells for peace indeed.

Mike, sounds like a great night out.

I’m also not really into Janelle Monáe’s style of music. However, about two years ago I was shown a YouTube video of Monáe performing “Come Alive (War of the Roses)” at Glastonbury in 2011 and it was one of those “wow” moments and prompted me to buy all her albums.

I have to say it wasn’t the best televised Glastonbury I’ve ever seen. I’ve yet to catch up with Fatouma Diawara but highlights for me where Tame Impala and the last three quarters of The Streets set the first quarter to be fair consisted mostly material from their first and best record Original Pirate Material an LP that wasn’t ever supposed to be played by a live band I suppose.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.