Going Active with the 332 333 & PMC

Having moved on from a 7 box 500/300 set for several weeks now I thought I’d share a few thoughts. Whilst the value of 500/300 was dropping, the NC is only going in the opposite direction, so it was partly a longer term investment gamble.

First things first, this cost me no money. My wonderful dealer arranged everything from pick up and sale of the old kit, to install of the new. It sold well and covered the cost of the new kit, including the PMC amp modules. So, that’s a 332:300, 333 & Active Amplifier modules as an exchange for ND555 x 2 PS555, NAC552 & NAP300 (most bought s/h or ex-dem).

How does it compare? It is unequivocally better. Sorry, but it just is. I feel so much more connected to the music. I could dissect and describe all the usual elements we look for, but will just say this - the music sounds far more real and present in my room. Another 300 will be joining the set soon.

Best ‘free’ upgrade of my life.

G

23 Likes

Sounds like a good result, Graeme :+1:

1 Like

No need to apologise. The NC range does look rather smart and I have heard it at events but not a direct comparison with OC.

I would like to assume the good people at Naim would progress with sound quality with their new range.

Better or different is personal preference sometimes so enjoy!

I suspect when the 552 equivalent is released it will be outside my financial appetite but will wait with eager anticipation as the OC 552 is an iconic product.

Gary

2 Likes

It (NC300 + active PMC) is better, which of course also makes it different :wink:.

G

1 Like

I use active ATC’s and there is something very good with active speakers in my experience.

In my system active works well and by far outperformed anything driven by nap300 DR

I’m sticking with my 552 for the foreseeable although my NDS whilst still good is an aging product…

4 Likes

That’s the second NPX300 on order for the 333. Let’s see what it brings to the party.

G

4 Likes

Certainly moved it up with my ATCs, sure you will enjoy :+1:

1 Like

OP are you saying that the 333 alone is better than the ND555+PS?

Very impressive if so!

I can’t be specific to one component outperforming another. Simply that my new set-up outperforms the old. Going active will have a hand in this too.

G

2 Likes

But Graeme did you try the ND555/552 with the active PMCs?

No, I didn’t.

G

Still obviously a great result, enjoy the groove.

1 Like

Thanks. The whole seems to be greater than the sum of the parts in my case.

G

3 Likes

Nice to hear that you are pleased with your NC set up.

Just a question, age of your outgoing units and more especially was the OC kit on several Naim Fraim stacks, with extra height for those units for which this benefits?

Most was recent. One PS a later DR to an earlier unit.

No Fraim or magical spacing I’m afraid.

G

One or two others have made similar comments about NC v OC.
Just a hunch, but it would be interesting to make a comparison. Is NC less dependant than 5 series kit, with placement / Fraim support?
Recognising not all can create space for appropriate spacing and extra stacks of Fraim, when I followed the spacial approach, there was a real uplift with 5 series kit.
NC kit may have an alternative approach, without floating brass innards, but for the later, without space it may not give of its best, creating a more level playing field!

That’s one way of rationalising it I suppose. Far more room for variability given the complexity of 500 components might be another.

Whatever, I’m extremely happy I took the leap into the unknown!

G

Enjoyed the 3 series demo day, in a demo room I reasonably well, there is no doubt 3 series kit is a worthwhile “leap” as you put it! I heard the step change improvement as more NPX were added, so congrats on what will be a nice system.
You have commented with balanced personal posts, one thread said it was all better with 3 v 5 kit. A quick search revealed pics which suggested a lack of space, making any comparison problematic.

One esteemed member of the forum has posted in the past, with detailed exploration of what the 5 series kit likes and thrives on, against a less than ideal install. Realistically 5 undoubtedly needs space, early experiences, including yours suggest 3 series is less demanding. In the same way as one or minimum boxes is more appealing today than previously, similarly the NC kit is more adaptable - evolution as I have commented before, rather than revolution.

I did acquire NC2 series to replace Nova, in a difficult room for acoustics, ordered unheard and not disappointed, although NPX in that situation was a step too far - just here. My main four Fraim active system isn’t in need of fixing - a full 3 series would have a real clean sheet appeal if circumstances evolved.

Long may your NC kit bring you enjoyment and pleasure.

2 Likes