Good deeds for the day. what have you done?

What surprised me is that I’ve seen loads of the small silver bottles dumped at the roadside, in car parks etc but had never encountered the large bottles - a couple of days later I saw 2 very similar ones on roundabouts presumably chucked out of car windows.

I think they could be very dangerous and doing a local search local ‘litter pickers’ had noted a huge increase in these large cannisters in the City. Apparently the smaller silver ones are potentially treacherous for cyclists and several accidents have been caused by them.

But something recently on the News in UK wss that prisons are full and they are looking to release offenders earlier than hitherto. I can’t see anyone being imprisoned for misuse of nitrous oxide! This of course leads into the vexed question as to whether it is right/necessary/appropriate to ban the use of psychoactive substances other than when driving etc (as opposed to banning reckless and environmentally damaging disposal of canisters). But this is a topic we can’t discus as it is probably considered political, and certainly links to political matters.

2 Likes

Hi @Alley_Cat As of today possession is OK as per my last post.

As you have noted, shortly the gas will come under the 1971 drugs act as a class C drug. This does change the possession aspect, in that it would be up to anyone to prove legal possession.
Some parties are automatically legally able to possess the “drug” but members of the public would have to rely upon set defences in the act such as ……

(a) that, knowing or suspecting it to be a controlled drug, he took possession of it for the purpose of preventing another from committing or continuing to commit an offence in connection with that drug and that as soon as possible after taking possession of it he took all such steps as were reasonably open to him to destroy the drug or to deliver it into the custody of a person lawfully entitled to take custody of it; or

(b) that, knowing or suspecting it to be a controlled drug, he took possession of it for the purpose of delivering it into the custody of a person lawfully entitled to take custody of it and that as soon as possible after taking possession of it he took all such steps as were reasonably open to him to deliver it into the custody of such a person."

So as long as you possess the gas for one of the reasons you could hand it in without issue.
Obviously up to each individual to make whatever call they are comfortable with but If it was me I’d have no issues at all in taking possession for the purpose of protecting kids or others and either calling it in or taking it in to the police. However please don’t take my advice on this, for formal advice just call 101.

If I found a large knife or bullets etc I’d treat them in the same way.
Regards

1 Like

Made my bed.

1 Like

Anecdote - back in 1970s, my dad was driving the M1 (UK) a lot and hitchhikers were common. He did National Service, so was disposed to help squaddies and alike. Around Leicester turn-off, he stopped for a squaddie who asked for London (on his sign). Deeper interrogation of his destination revealed it was ~200 yards from our home :grin:

5 Likes

I helped out my local landlord by buying several pints of his excellent ale…

8 Likes

Very noble of you, Svetty. :clap::sunglasses:

1 Like

Here’s a question that fits with the theme of this thread: do you give to beggars on the street? You hear all sorts of tales of there being professional beggars who actually quite well off, and of people who spend anything they get on drugs, so what is the right thing to do?

In general I don’t tend to give anything. (Different with buskers: if I like the music I’ll stop and listen for a bit then give something). But there are exceptions: one time when I was in London overnight my wife and I were returning to our hotel late in the evening, and had just picked up a takeaway. As we entered the tube station there was somebody who appeared to be homeless, down and out, asking for money for food. I thought if he’s genuine then food is better than money, so I offered him my takeaway: he took it with profuse thanks and started eating ravenously. On a couple of occasions since when I’ve seen someone begging in a similar situation I’ve bought a takeaway specifically to give them.

2 Likes

Your actions are probably the best thing to do IMV. This said, I’ve seen parties give people packaged food and they’ve gone back to the vendor and tried to claim refunds – and the latter have acquiesced as the bother is too much. Sadly, London is rife with gangs with their little signs = no from me, as it’s very difficult to unpick whether one might be sponsoring some of the negatives you mention.

1 Like

I do, but working in the West End it’s pretty easy to spot the ‘career’ ones - see em every day in their pavement offices. I know some street people there by name so tend to give to them, and to obvious total wrecks.

A group used to gather outside my workplace - one evening they dumped a pile of copper coins on one of our walls (only wanted the silver). They kinda blew it as far as I was concerned. I took the money (about £4 worth) and put it in the work charity box.

2 Likes

Don’t know if you’re in the uk @Tony but I use Freecycle a lot. Why on earth throw away a system like that. I had quite a good oral B electric toothbrush that wouldn’t work or charge - think I’d overcharged it. Sure enough somebody took it on Freecycle, although I did include a fresh brush head :wink:

3 Likes

+1 for freecycle. Charity shops usually don’t take electronic/electric goods for H&S reasons so they can be difficult to get rid of.

3 Likes

Yes, I’ve been a member of my local Freecycle comunity for over 10 years and also use gumtree to give stuff away that is either in good condition or repairable. Skip is the last resort.

1 Like

I think that’s a very sensible approach, can’t remember if I mentioned it but when I passed the local refuse/recycling centre last week I drove in and queried and they said they’d be able to deal with it, typically I didn’t have it with me at the time.

1 Like

Have to say I never do this. People can of course decide to give or not. Many street people use the cash for drink or drugs, and cash being given, ironically can perpetuate their habit and lifestyle rather than help bring the change they need.
Instead I donate to the Salvation Army and ensure my contributions are gift aided. Whilst there are dedicated homelessness charities, personally I really like the Sally Army. Unlike some charities they don’t pay huge salaries and pensions to managers and more of the money is spent on the actual charitable works.
If I felt someone was in real or urgent need I’d call the local outreach group.

I sometimes find it difficult to pass by and not contribute but having had some direct experience of dealing with the homeless or beggars I know for me at least it’s not the answer.

2 Likes

I remember seeing a beggar with a dog and a hungry sign, so I went to the Fish and Chip shop, and gave him a meal. He wasn’t that grateful. Not that I wanted gratitude, but it meant of course it’s hard to have a sign saying you are hungry, when tucking into Fish and Chips.

2 Likes

There was a sermon I remember well about a man going to the Purley Gates, and being told by Peter that you can only go through if you have done a genuine good deed. The man had a massive pile of pebbles next to him, each one representing a good deed, and so was sure he would be OK.

Peter looked at them, and said
“Lets take away all the ones you did because it was for tax purposes”
“Now take away all the ones that you did because it benefitted you”
“Now take away all the ones you did that you clearly did in front of people to impress them”
“Now take away all the ones you did, that you bragged about later to other people”

The man was mortified to see this big pile of pebbles reduced to one. Peter then said that this was when he put himself out to help a dear old lady in trouble, and never mentioned it to anyone, and never crossed his mind that he was doing a good deed.

I really like this story, (Catholic guilt and all that) however something has to be said for mentioning your good deeds in order to encourage others to consider doing the same. Just make sure you have some genuine pebbles earned wisely.

6 Likes

People remember , I don’t give money but I’ll pop into Greggs and give people a sausage roll and a cup of tea.

I did this one winter’s day and about six months later I did the same again . The person I spoke to remembered me and the act and said “do you remember giving these to me and my mate ?” I said no “well he’s dead”

So he remembered me, but I didn’t remember his friend .

1 Like

A family member unfortunately needs to go to a nursing home. She had quite a few medicines left at home so I thought, as some of them had only been dispensed a couple of weeks ago, I would take them back to the local chemist.
Much to surprise, due to heath and safety regulation, they cannot reuse them, only accepting them to be safely disposed of safely.
I really can’t help thinking that this is such a waste.:pensive:

3 Likes

Next time I’m in Purley, remind to stay well away from those gates :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes