Graham Audio LS3/5A

Have bought an ex dem pair of the above. Which is nice. :slightly_smiling_face:

Turns out the dem time on them is under an hour! And it shows.

Anyone with experience of likely proper run-in time?

4 Likes

I have recently bought pair of LS3/5As, but from Falcon Acoustics, but havenā€™t hooked them up yet.

I suggest that a few days playing a CD on repeat, or an FM tuner tuned to a music station, would be enough.

Or just use them in your system, as normal, and see how long it takes until no further improvement is audible.

1 Like

Cheers, will have to be the latter though!

Are you building the Falcons?

Good lord, No, Jamie!

I would love to be capable of doing something as complex as that, but Iā€™m all fingers and thumbs, mainly thumbs. So I let those nice chaps/chapesses at Falcon take the strain!

Iā€™m very much looking forward to hooking everything up, but the sound will be very different from that produced by three pairs of ESL57s in my main system.

I did look at putting a pair of Falcon Q7s together as an option but then saw these Grahams at a good price and figured being ex dem theyā€™d be nicely run in for me. Turns out theyā€™re all but brand new!

Straight out of the box theyā€™re terrific with vocals, strings and guitar as youā€™d expect. Not very open with more complex stuff just yet though. At least I hope thatā€™s a yet.

Why the change for you? Thatā€™s quite a step!

Not a change, Jamie, but Iā€™m putting together a ā€˜second systemā€™ brought about by my (perhaps rather impetuous) purchase of a NAIT50, coupled with an unexpected chance to buy a second ARO, refurbished by Linn (not Naim).

1 Like

Iā€™m kinda interested in a Q7 kit too, more curiosity than anything else, they get pricey enough though when you add the gold badge crossover etc. Iā€™ll be interested to hear how the Grahams work out

About 40 yearsā€¦ :wink:

(Orā€¦ I have a pair of Graham LS3/5 which might have run in over a few weeks, but I wasnā€™t sat there specifically listening for changes, just to music. What you experience might depend on what you are expecting of themā€¦ )

1 Like

I cannot be specific, I have Graham LS5/9, an early pair (so potentially the same materials in construction?). I am reasonably sure the download ā€œinstructionā€ leaflet has been rewritten since I bought them and there was originally a mention of 50 hours. I needed new speaker cable at the same time, so two things at once not ideal. Graham were waiting delivery of the brand they used for demos and referred me to a dealer who sold me Van den Hul. It worked, but when I was loaned some Chord Odyssey things sounded so much better.
Whether the speakers or the cable, or both settled at about 150 hoursā€¦

2 Likes

Do you recall what that was?

So I can expect them to open up a little over a few weeks thenā€¦

Iā€™m undecided whether to keep them with the 272/250dr or the 50!:slightly_frowning_face::wink::slightly_smiling_face:

Something interesting, Tidal through 272 much improved.

However, I donā€™t think they really like the 3.5/flatcap/hi-line combo. First time Iā€™ve come across this since I got the 3.5 and flatcap in the ā€˜90ā€™s.

Yet the TT sounds terrific.

Ah well, fancied a new cdp anyway :wink:

Sorry, I donā€™t think a name was put to it, it was early 2014, from vague memory, red and black twisted pair a bit like Odyssey without the white outer sheath.

1 Like

And Greatest Hits Radio sounds shockingly poor! No smoothing the cracks here.

Sounds like youā€™re having fun then!

Yes indeed, though Iā€™m not sure how much is a throw back to my yoof.

I grew up with a pair of Leaks in the house before my father switched to some ATC 50ā€™s.

My own first speakers were Royd a7ā€™s, so itā€™s a return to a certain kind of voicing in the main system, after first some SF Concertos for about ten years thereafter and then the Gurus since.

Iā€™ll be very interested to hear further on how you get on, especially with the Nait 50.

Have you tried them with the 50 yet?

Noā€¦

Barely have chance to get room to myself at the moment.

Iā€™m also waiting on some appropriate Custom Design stands to arrive so that Iā€™m comparing with the finished articlešŸ˜‰

1 Like