Graham’s Hydra

You would make it.

1 Like

Ah - that’s not likely at the moment - home-schooling 3 kids, plus no electrical skills.

1 Like

It’s basically a fancy version of what Graham’s make.

Caravaggio made one too:

5 Likes

Do you have a photo with the cover off?

Is that a candidate for one of Airlink’s custom wound isolating transformers?

I’ve also got one of those (3000VA but with improved soft start).

I probably do, but inside it is fully potted so all there is to see is a shiny black lump. The whole thing is a solid block of epoxy surrounded by a ply and acrylic case.

… err … ??? … no

No? I thought they offered custom windings that would step down (say) 250V to 230V. Could be mistaken. And it might buy you a different set of problems anyway. Ah well.

Any schematics / instructions anywhere?

1 Like

I said no for a few reasons. First is that a house move is in the great plan, waiting for other parts of the puzzle to fall in place that are best left unsaid. That will bring a new system more than likely, and a lower line voltage hopefully.
Last is the hum is no way that bad, only audible when the room is dead quiet, it’s only annoying my OCD truth be told.

Can you do a filter on ‘mains voltage’ on Rightmove? :wink:

1 Like

How do you check your line voltage?

I have cobbled together my own Hydra equivalent using a wagox XL and the connectors it uses to connect three redundant NAIM continental power cables into one cable with a NAIM 13 amp plug. Seems to work OK

There are threads about the creating of both projects on the AudioFlat forum - but I’m not sure links to other forums are allowed (hopefully mention of them is)?

2 Likes

Not that I’m aware of, its 230v (nominal) is all you need to know as far as most people are concerned.

Regarding comments made in earlier posts about the Graham’s Hydra. I can’t imagine why Graham’s should refuse to shorten the mains cables unless they believe that two metres has some sort of magical property (I have come across people who believe there is some optimum length for IEC leads). I’ve also heard this idea that an unused mains lead (plugged into the mains but not into a piece of equipment) can introduce RF (Graham’s also say this), but it’s exceedingly unlikely (when I say ‘exceedingly’ I’m being generous).

1 Like

It is, however, one of the advantages cited by MusicLine for the PowerIgel, and they belong to the Naim group, so I prefer to think they are not making up things

I would think it’s because Naim makes the cable in this length as well, and no other, because “was tested and sounded best”

1 Like