Graham’s Hydra

With a volt meter !!!
I normally use my Fluke 79 & read whatever it is on a power socket.

1 Like

They told me it’s a condition of Naim supplying them with the cables.

2 Likes

What if it’s plugged into a 50 foot radio aerial?

Maybe I’ll try and borrow my neighbours!

Is that the shielded Belden cable? If so did you continue continuity of the sheilding from mains plug through to the ends of each end lead?

Well, Naim don’t ‘make’ the raw cable as such, that’s just the length the manufacturer supplies them at - long enough to be useful but not unnecessarily so.

Perhaps then…

Yes and yes :).

1 Like

Pleased to hear it. Very happy with mine, a four headed, too.

Um, yes, but they customize and sell them in 2 m length (only) because “sounds best”

A minor point of order: I always connect power cable screens to earth (E) at the power input end only & leave the output end floating.
This is a regulation spec in my old industry, the screen/shield was considered as a grounded conduit & not an integral part of the cables earth wire.
I know some suggest to connect at both ends, & to be fair in our applications it probably doesn’t make much difference.

I’m afraid I don’t believe that two metres of mains lead ‘sounds best’. There are also companies claiming that 1.5 or 2.5 metres are the optimum lengths - all nonsense in my opinion.

1 Like

That is what I have done and assumed it was what ColinP was asking.

1 Like

That’s what I was trying to say in my question, to the ends of the leads rather than earthed at both ends, just at the plug end

You may or you may not, but that’s irrelevant to Naim saying so and selling them only this way, and apparently requiring that Graham does the same (based on what HH wrote)

I’m not convinced Naim believe two metres to be an optimum length for sound quality - they certainly didn’t do in the past.

As for Graham’s reluctance, well it could be that cutting down a mains lead is legally classed as an electrical modification or some such.

1 Like

Hi @YNWaN interesting place the ‘AudioFlat’ forum, I did have a search for the ‘Hydra thread’ but gave up.

One other thing I failed the entrance question three times, I tried what I thought to be the obvious answers, got locked out and can’t think of any others that might work!

Would you care to give me a clue? :0)

LP12 (I didn’t create it). Yes, sorry, the search function is indeed rubbish :(.

Whatever, they won’t do it. As you don’t want one it doesn’t really matter anyway. If you want to know more you could call Grahams and interrogate them.

1 Like

Thanks, @YNWaN I am sure I tried that, although perhaps I put a space in between the letter and the numbers!

I’ll wait until it lets me have another go, he he