Graham’s Hydra

By smaller D.C. blockers, do you mean things like an IsoTek EVO3 ISOPLUG?

So do you plug your Hydra into the Cerberus, and plug that into your dedicated hifi radial?

1 Like

Most likely not. As with humming transformers, non shielded Naim cables, hard to bend NACA5, Burndys that must not touch the floor even though impossible without racks side by side, cable lockings that should not be locked and so on it to me seems like all tests are done in a perfect “lab environments” and then it is up to everyone else to solve the issues we all have in a normal home setup to get the same performance. And if something doesn’t work as intended you are to rebuild your house or jump to another brand because the problem is always you and your setup, never the product :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

I think the answer is the same as for huge toroidal transformers and PSes :wink:

So are you saying that Naim’s Power-Lines are a waste of time?

If you think that toroidals and PSes are, Naim might not be the right brand? :slight_smile:

What I meant was that they probably think that this is what is ultimately best and it is your and your dealer’s job to set up and make work properly in your environment. Similar to “if you are getting transformer hum, fix your power supply”

100% agree.
I’ve tried it all ways, regular cables, Powerlines, Hydra & made to measure.
Never been convinced about the gains in SQ with long cables or how to manage a Hydra octopus.
Made to measure is the only thing that works for me, although I do have 2x PL Lites that I have folded & tied to “shorten” to length.

1 Like

I have no transformer hum, I have a dedicated mains supply, my power cables are Graham’s Hydra but your argument with EM interference from transformers would imply that spending a small fortune on Power Lines might be better spent elsewhere.

I’ve just been looking at the price of Belden cable, I’m going to buy some and give a shot at a @YNWaN type Hydra customised to fit my racks. Even with my amps away getting serviced the cable dressing for all the spare lead is horrific under the racks. I think it’s against the rules to discuss that so I’ll say no more on the subject either way

1 Like

I think it’s OK to discuss these types of projects, it’s modifying Naim systems with home brew SNAIC’s & 3rd party PSU’s that is not allowed.

1 Like

Thanks Mike, I’m never sure what applies to what. If Richard doesn’t specifically say no then I will report my findings; the bits are on order to make 2 x 4 way Hydra with shielded junction boxes so the entire setup can be as one

I believe you might be misunderstanding what I am trying to say. Which is that Naim routinely goes for what is, in their opinion, the best solution, even if it is not easy to accommodate or achieve in a domestic environment in real-life conditions. They do this with PSes, so why not with cable length.

(And you followed their advice regarding a dedicated mains supply, which is not very easy and which other forum members find to be an imposition and argue that it should not be necessary. Yet the cable length is an issue for you. I just think that these are quite similar things - Naim recommending or requiring something that is not necessarily straightforward to do in a domestic environment)

I’m fine with it so long as a post does not encourage unsafe practices, such as bypassing fuses where they are required for safety.

1 Like

Thanks, certainly not, risks especially where safety is concerned I do not take. The guy across the road is an electrician and does PAT testing, they’ll be checked over before any power goes through them

It will be a while before I can report back as the amps will need burning in after servicing first before I could even consider comparing

2 Likes

Help , what is happening to me? I used to listen to music. But in the last 24 hours I have inspected an LP12 inner platter for unknown glitter and measured the length of all my Naim power cables. I think I need a break from this forum.:wink:

9 Likes

Welcome to the OCD world of hifi-as-an-end-in-itself.

Was there a tiny bit of glitter in the crevice…?

1 Like

I’m not familiar with the IsoTek so have looked it up. That particular circuit isn’t a D.C. blocker as such and purely seems to offer simplistic surge protection.

From my dedicated radial the mains goes into the Cerberus, then the Airlink, then the Hydra and then to the components. My whole system is powered this way. Bear in mind that when I say ‘whole system’ it’s only to play records - it still needs eight mains leads though.

1 Like

Not heard this one before. Is this a thing?

I believe than having the PREH DIN Locking Rings ‘loose’ is said to improve sound quality. No cost involved…

You’ll very likely get an improvement if you leave the rings unlocked on the lavender interconnect, or removed altogether. There is also an improvement from leaving the rings unlocked on Snaics but as they may carry power it’s more risky should they get knocked.

1 Like

Thanks, will try out :hugs: