Graham’s Hydra

What I do is lock then, gently - then back them off a bit. This is on the CDX2 to 82 interconnect. All my SNAIC’s are staying firmly locked…

1 Like

If you remove the screw in the plug, you can slide the locking ring off the back of the plug and along the cable. You can fix them to the cable with tape if worried about them rattling. I always steered clear of having loosely attacked rings as it seems a recipe for vibrations, which isn’t good.

1 Like

With the sound first strategy they claim to have. Why do Naim design them with locking rings when they could do it without?

It’s a useful safety feature with the Snaics, but the interconnects really don’t need them. The SL cables don’t have them.

I’ve tried various cables with the locking rings engaged and undone. What I’ve found makes more difference is changing the PREH plugs for those made by Lumberg (which look almost identical unless studied closely).

1 Like

You don’t want glitter in your crevice! :flushed::flushed::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I use interconnects from Tellurium Q. No locking rings in sight.

Easy to do. For many years I used a four headed version that looked like this:

But when I wanted a six way version I rebuilt the whole thing from scratch and a bit more obsessively :).

3 Likes

They come as standard as part of the Preh locking plugs.

On Naim’s own design of DIN plugs (used on Hi-Line and Super Lumina) they don’t have locking rings.

Of course, if you’ve ever accidentally unplugged a SNAIC you’ll know that the locking rings on these particular cables are a very good idea!

1 Like

Sort of like what I have planned, I found a similar box with 5 glands on it, for garden use I think, I’m going to shield the inside of it with copper tape my missus uses to shield her guitars and connect that to the shielding on the wires so the whole thing is as one. As well as the wire I ordered Martin Kaiser IEC plugs (silver plated, yeah I know!) and silver plated mains plugs.

I’m not entirely sure I’ll hear any difference, I’m a sceptic in this area but open minded all the same but I suspect any changes I hear might well be down to the wires being well organised and having no mass of spare cable

What would happen?

1 Like

A very loud and high pitched squeal and pop. Followed by the distinct possibility of fried tweeters.

4 Likes

I would only undo the locking rings on the interconnect cable, it’s not worth risking damaging your HiFi system with playing around with the other cables…and in any case i’ll be damned if i can hear much of a difference…if you want a real improvement swap the lavender stock cable for a HiLine.

2 Likes

Is it OK to unlock the rings on the cable between my 272 and 300DR? No risk of damaging anything if it pulls out?

Consider the Super Lumina Din to XLR leads. Do they have locking rings?

What is the likelihood of plugs pulling out? If you had a free range pet sloth it may be a different matter.

3 Likes

I spent the morning connecting up all the its for the DIY Hydra from Belden 19364 cable, the shielding connected at the plug to earth, then the junction box shielded with copper tape, all shielding wires soldered together and connected to the box shielding. My mate across the road PAT tested them for me so they are all good and 100% safe. Despite being super thick the cable is very pliable, far easier to work with that either the standard or Grahams Hydra cable but with all wires cut to length for each bit of kit on it’s own shelf the big gain is in plain old tidiness, all the mess and tangle of wires has gone, just 2 runs from the socket to the underside of the racks and the four leads within the rack all neat and in place. There is now loads of room to organise the other interconnects in a relatively tidy fashion, surely that must make a difference but how remains to be heard, I’ll report back when the amps are back in place and run in again

1 Like

Did you take any step by step pictures?

No, I thought DIY wasn’t really the done thing here, but basically it was a case of cutting to length and soldering the same colour wires together and insulating with heat shrink.

This is the junction box I used which was easy enough to shield and connect everything together. It did come with connectors but I preferred to solder them instead

2 Likes

Thank goodness Pat has checked everything out.

2 Likes

Yes, it was handy, being the postman he finishes work early and comes home to Jess

6 Likes