Graham’s Hydra

For the amount of lift in performance (if any) my locking rings are always engaged for this very reason.

1 Like

A 4 headed Grahams Hydra has arrived and was installed yesterday… No serious listening… yet.

1 Like

Well… That did something, IMHO… How much…? Hard to quantify. Just installing the Hydra will have cleaned all the main connections. The Hydra is also new, so ‘cleaner’ - than c. 1985 leads.

I was already Star Earthed also, via a so-called ‘Multiway 4-in-1 Plug’ using my original Naim leads (which were different lengths and ages… - see here - Naim Standard Main Lead Length ).

But… IMO, something definitely happened - more ‘Naim-y-ness’ if that makes sense. No… Oh well. Lets just say the Grahams Hydra ( @Grahamhifi ) is a keeper… :smile:

And very worthwhile, in my view.

6 Likes

There’s been no noticeable change in the sound over the last few days since getting the amps back last week so last night I changed over to the Grahams Hydras (2 x 4). Today the sound has changed, there’s a slight subduing of the high frequencies, like a loss of clarity for want of a better description, if there’s been any change to the mid or bass I can’t hear it. I’ll give it a couple of days listening and then change back to the DIY cut to length and shielded Hydras again and see what happens.

1 Like

Just chipping in here with my experience.

Moving from standard power cables to a Graham’s Hydra was one of those ‘Oh, my goodness’ moments. Big, big uplift in sound.

The only time I had a similar feeling was when I went from NAC42.5 to NAC72 donkey’s years back - that’s why the latter pre has stayed in my system till now :grin:

If some don’t experience such a ‘lift’ with the Hydra, then maybe their original cabling was already pretty well fettled, so to speak.

2 Likes

I think that hits it on the head. I would hope that my ‘DIY-Hydra-ish’ was pretty OK. But the ‘Real McCoy’ © Grahams’s Hydra is… better… :sunglasses:

1 Like

The DIY Hydra is back in and instantly the high frequencies opened up again, more noticeable this way around, similar to changing from the individual leads to a Hydra. I have no idea whether it’s the shielding on the Belden cable or the lack of yards of spare wire hanging around, I couldn’t begin to offer an explanation. The Graham’s duo will be going into the loft for a rainy day

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.