Great sounding Jazz influenced Vocal albums

These are what I am listening to at this moment in time. They are all extremely well recorded but even more importantly it is music that is worth every moment spend listening.

northern-lights-odelion
Superb DXD recording from Sound Liaison;
“You don’t want to miss a single note from this fairytalish musical paradise called ODELION. ODELION is a new Dutch pearl that needs to be discovered!”— OOR Magazine

melaniedebiasio.bandcamp.com/
“transcendent songs that seem to suspend time”, — The Guardian

carmengomes.bandcamp.com
“With “ Up Jumped the Devil, Discovering the Music of Robert Johnson”
Carmen Gomes Inc. have created an imaginary road movie .”
Fantastic tribute to Robert Johnson from my personal favorite singer of the moment. Recorded by Frans De Rond in DXD but strangely not available on his site.

Embrace Me Gidon Nunes Vaz with - Denise Jannah
" result is spectacular, with a warm, generous ambience you can almost reach out and touch each instrument." —HIFI NEWS AND RECORD REVIEW.

The above three albums are pretty dark, fits the times you might say, so I put on Denise Jannah singing " On a Misty Night". to brighten up the mood a little.

6 Likes

Currently listening to:
Melanie De Blasio - A Stomach is Burning.

For me this isn’t an instant hit, but I can feel it getting its hooks into me. Very intimate album. I’ll try No Deal.

1 Like

Ella Fitzgerald - Ella Swings Lightly
Mildred Anderson - No More In Life
Carmen Gomes Inc. - Carmen Gomes Sing the Blues

Can also recommend Blackened Cities by Melanie De Basio. It’s a single track album…

4 Likes

Rachelle Ferrell - Individuality

2 Likes

That’s a fine 1999 album but what what happened to her?

@Peet Garmen Gomez is stunning !

1 Like

I hadn’t realised she was as old as she is, refferred to on line as a ‘legend’. One link says she popped into jazz festival in 2018 to VERY mixed reviews, some booed, others called for prayers for her, with fears she was effected by drugs. Hope she is well.

+1 for the new Carmen Gomes CD. Incredible album. And that low 27 hz bass note starting out the album, really sets up the mood.

BlockquoteCarmen Gomes Inc. have created an album that sounds like an imaginary road movie.
Listening one perceives Robert walking late at night, en route in the Mississippi Delta, reflecting back on his life.
The low A, 27.5 khz, from the bowed down tuned double bass representing the Mississippi night, the drums creating the sounds surrounding the night and the guitar being Robert’s mind.

But strange that it only is available on her carmengomes.bandcamp.com site it is a SOUND LIAISON RECORDING

1 Like

But also a +1 for the ODELION album. I really enjoyed that download. Well recorded and good songs.
I hope to hear more from her in the future.

btw there is only a few days left on the sale of that download

3 Likes

Received the email promoting the Odelion album. Found it on Qobuz in CD quality and enjoyed it enough to download the DSD version from Sound Liaison whilst still on special offer. The HD version is definitely more involving and conveys the musical message more realistically, but both are worth hearing, as I’m doing at this very moment.

Roger

Just streamed the Odeleon album. Superb thanks.

Regards,

Lindsay

1 Like

Jazz vocals in the onamonopoeic scat improvised style ?

06ABC7AD-0218-4FC1-8684-75C3402FC9C5-1990-0000025B9FBCF0C4

Urszula Dudziak and the superband live at the jazz cafe.
Definitely for the hardcore jazz heads. Nice.

2 Likes

It is available in DXD,DSD, Flac and PCM here;
Link; up-jumped-the-devil-carmen-gomes-inc
And REDBook CD here; https://carmengomes.bandcamp.com/

1 Like

Aside from the obvious Ella, Louis and Shirley, these are some of my favorites. Each has many on Amazon.

Abbey Lincoln.

Sheila Jordan.

Carol Sloane.

Mark Murphy

2 Likes

2 Likes

One of my personal favorites.

10 Likes

I bought my copy from Sound Liaison
A choice of all the normal kHz in DXD, PCM, FLAC & DSD
One of Carmen’s best IMO, it tells a story of a journey, I love the atmosphere that it all conjures up.

1 Like

On the promo video it says it is available at

soundliaisonbandcamp
and at carmengomesbandcamp

But DXD is only available the Sound Liaison site.

Classic tunes, beautifully sung, played and recorded.

2 Likes