Happy Anniversary Core

Looking forward to new firmware on the Core whenever that might be. New features would be good and I hope a cure for the backup forgetting which ones it has already done and embarking on large backups when there are only a few new tracks.

When my NS01 needs repair, I may well consider a Core. However, I have long wondered how the Core actually performs backups. With the NS01 I have set it up to perform scheduled backups to its internal second drive on a monthly basis. It is set to do a differential backup only, meaning that it only copies new rips. Is it not possible to do this with a Core? Also, is It necessary to have a separate NAS drive to support another HDD which can be swapped in the event of the first drive failing?

My Core as installed by Iain ha a 2TB external drive plugged in the back which backs up any new rips etc you can set the schedule up in the app.

Backups are differential (or in my case partially differential :slight_smile: )

Thanks, Pete. I too have a WD which acts as a second backup of my NS01. Iain set that up for me too in 2013 when I was trying to get on with UnitiServe (I didn’t!). Does your backup have a removable HDD which can be slotted in the Core in the event that the first one fails or would you have to put an empty HDD in the core and copy the files across?

In my case, I back up to a removable WD drive and also to a NAS. I would need to restore to a new HDD if the existing one fails. That is not to say backing up to an HDD that could be slotted in is not possible - I have simply never investigated it.

Thanks for your replies.

Clive, my original 2 TB spinning HDD started making a noise so I spoke to Iain and I obtained a SSD drive which he came out and installed he started the back up from the external drive which took many hours.

Must be the most expensive SSD drive ever because I ended up with with an ex demo 552 at the same time !!

3 Likes

Would it be ok if I were to ask Iain to give you my phone number at some point? I’d reallly like to come have a look at your setup.

Hi Clive , no problem indeed.

Cool! Thanks.

You’re right, it goes well in most cases. But sometimes a surprising mislabeling occurs: my Core labeled the first part of Mahler 3/Haitink/Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks as a track by The Grateful Dead.

Oops

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.