Happy Anniversary Core

In metadata it surely is!

It really doesnā€™t bother me if a few bits of metadata need a tweak. Itā€™s hardly important and takes little time to fix.

1 Like

I find checking, correcting or personalising metadata & file name editing is something I enjoy.
I always do it with Qobuz file naming protocol
Its rarely if ever needed with other download vendors or dBpoweramp rips

1 Like

I quite enjoy it too! We must be weird. Tidy metadata is happy metadata.

2 Likes

Me too. I undertook a radical and extensive changing of metadata for my classical music.
It was not difficult and you soon become adept at metadata changing.
The resultant indexing and retrieval works brilliantly well.

Unless Iā€™ve overlooked the option, it would be helpful if in the Core app one could modify metadata for more than one track or album at the same time. Especially for larger box sets of classical music (think of the 19 cdā€™s of the complete Mozart symponies by Hogwood & the Academy of Ancient Music) it would save a lot of time if one could amend the cover art for all volumes in one single step.

2 Likes

You havenā€™t overlooked anything. You have to do it one by one.

Can a computer based app access items ripped to the Core to batch process metadata changes or only files in the ā€˜downloadedā€™ section?

Thatā€™s brilliant- having just bought one (pre-price increasešŸ˜€)

No. You arenā€™t allowed to edit the metadata of the Coreā€™s own rips, except using the Naim app. The Music folder is locked to access from a PC over the network. Of course there are ways you could still change things, but Naim says that if you do this you may break the Coreā€™s indexing. Whether you could just reindex the files is unclear.

The one legitimate way would be to copy the rips you want to modify and then add them into the downloads folder. You could then edit them in any way you want, including using batch tools. You would need to delete the files in the Music folder, using the app, otherwise they will show up twice of course.

1 Like

@davidhendon Thank you, at least I can now stop searching for it! Just hoping the update will make it possible

Well, it depends. As explained, you can transfer a downloaded file that you downloaded on a seperate computer, but, no you canā€™t download a file directly onto the Coreā€™ hard drive without a separate computer. Well, thatā€™s how I understand it having one at least.

I think most readers of this thread, can probably see what would be the two most requested features. That first being, the ability to download directly to the Core from a music streaming source, without the need of a computer. The second feature would be improved metadata handling, again not needing a computer and licensed metadata software.
It is all well and good to speculate if the two features could be applied to the Core. However, only Naim will know if it firstly doable and secondly if it is practical. I guess if I was reading the Coreā€™s school report, it would read as ā€œa good level of attainment reached, but (hopefully) could do better.

1 Like

Back at the days when I owned a Core, it was not possible to transcode FLAC to WAV on the fly like the HDX could.

Might be an addition to the wishlist?

Possibly. I guess all the prospective or Core owners would have different requested features, I only mentioned the two above, as these would seem to be the most popular from the replies.
I suspect I could guess what your most requested Naim wish would be and maybe Santa Claus and the Naim elves have been busyā€¦ā€¦ā€¦however we will have to wait and see. I hope you do get your Naim wish. :blush:

I went full-on OCD when I originally ripped all my classical CDs, but since then Iā€™ve discovered that my aging brain prefers to think in terms of CDs, not ā€œworksā€ or ā€œorchestrasā€ or ā€œsoloistsā€, or whatever. I really donā€™t have that many versions of the same piece that I need the metadata to sort through my library. I seem to be happiest scrolling through my virtual library as if if were real, and waiting until I find the cover Iā€™m looking for. Iā€™m stuck in the old paradigm, thatā€™s for sureā€¦ :grinning:

3 Likes

Thatā€™s how I do it too!

1 Like

That wouldnā€™t be a deal breaker for me. The devices that can do it, such as Innuos, can only do so from a couple of providers so they donā€™t eliminate the need for a computer to download, and unless you donā€™t own a computer I donā€™t see why not using one for downloads is an advantage in any case.

Innuos doesnā€™t do that for now. Only Melco, with Hirezaudio and Qobuz.
No need for a computer to download the albums on it.

Maybe, the combination of both requested features would lead to a Core utopia, for all variants of prospective and Uniti Core owners. :blush: