Happy with the new Naim update

I’ll start stashing some popcorn :popcorn:

2 Likes

Actually no, my bad I misread a post.

naim said support for custom radio URLs was being added to iOS/Android in November.

But they also said the products ALREADY support this.

So fingers crossed no further firmware upgrades!

I guess we will get small patch updates to address bugs, but no major firmware change.

2 Likes

I first came to this thread because I applied the update about 12-14 days ago, just because I happened to notice in the app that the update was available. I said, ok, whatever and hit the button. When the system came back, I immediately noticed it sounding significantly different. I was like “whoa, what is the deal here?” I listened for a couple days and thought I might be crazy. So I came here and searched and found the threads, and that most folks are having similar experiences.

The bass is definitely more prominent for me. It seems be deeper and have much a good deal more slam. This I welcome. I am running a NAP200. I tried a 250DR and did not like the (relatively) slow bass. This firmware update has improved my bass situation. It feels like I went out and spent 4 digits on hardware. I keep expecting the free bubble to burst!

I agree with others, that things sound more “live”, especially vocals. I much enjoy this aspect too as that has always what has sold me on Naim. I’ve played in bands for 30 yrs and Naim feels the most right to my ears.

The above gains are really great. However, I also agree with those that say some of the settled and sorted-ness has been lost. While it is a more lively sound with bigger, punchier bass, I feel some of the delicates in the high end have been pushed back. Stuff like intricate percussion work is less well represented that pre-upgrade. I feel I can’t hear chimes, wood blocks, shakers, triangles, etc… as well as I could pre-upgrade. That part I don’t like. I think things were more balanced before. I will surely try turning down my subs a bit to see if that allows me to bring back the high end details. I’m about 8hrs into listening with the new firmware, so I’m trying to hold off making any adjustments until I feel like I really have a handle on the new sound.

Also interesting, my system sounds better in the lower volume range that it did pre-upgrade. I can get a very satisfying experience with less volume now.

So I’ll take the good with the bad. What choice do I have right? At least it’s a 2 for 1. I got “upgraded” bass and vocals, with a downgrade in high end detail. Probably, reducing the subs may prove me wrong about the high end details.

9 Likes

I liked the sound before and I like the sound after. Can’t honestly say that I can hear a difference, so I’m happy. Perhaps a bit mutton Geoff but happy!

2 Likes

I’d definitely agree and that’s pretty significant playing music late at night.

As for percussion I found it considerably better and easier to follow.

Previously all was too smeared.

1 Like

I use the paid stream from Jazz Groove pretty frequently. It required me to add a custom station via the rather arcane vTuner website. Is that what’s currently not possible with the new update? I’ve been holding off applying it in fear of losing the stream.

This is answered on the new radio thread by naim, and also I think there’s some temporary access to some FLAC Jazz.

You’ll need to read the whole thread.

I have noticed a huge improvement. This could be because I have been using only Tidal for the past 5 years with my NDX2/XPSDR/SN2 and the difference now with Tidal Max is a good improvement to my ears. There is much more clear detail now and it really seemed to tighten up the base. It seems like I can crank it up a bit louder without it getting as hard on the ears, definitely more NC sounding but still retaining the warmth of the SN2.

I also agree is sounds better at lower volume as well. I think what impresses me the most is just how good the SN2 sounds now, especially after all those years thinking it was the limiting factor.

1 Like

Yes, I get this.

I’m delighted with this new update and hope it never goes away.

It’s also great to read such a positive thread with so many people getting a really good improvement in sound.

5 Likes

Agreed Jim.

There SEEMS to be a link between the part of the world that the user lives and how the firmware update has been received. Most UK members seem happy from the off. US guys etc less so without a reboot.

Also I have found that I now prefer many of the ND555’s input settings OFF as opposed to before the update. A friend of mine (we almost always agree on sound preferences) still prefers all ON. I concur with DB’s findings though. It’s just a 10% swing thing but for me the sound is improved with :-

Chromecast OFF
Digital 1,2 and 4 OFF
Tidal OFF (I use Qobuz)
Spotify. OFF

Very interesting

5 Likes

Thank you so much for pointing me there. I took the firmware plunge and still have access to my pre-configured stream, plus the temporary access is indeed there. The internet radio section is a great improvement to the app.

3 Likes

I’ve owned a pretty good sampling of Naim components over time and still consider the SN2 the most enjoyable. A tremendous value in today’s market as well.

Am very impressed that the streamer firmware update is bringing sonic improvements. Is that just Tidal users getting access to the high res streams, or something else going on?

1 Like

Good to try these things - I also experiment over time and find that the installation settles over a week, which I had previously noticed but more pronounced with this one.

With the settings I have only slightly differed in that I decided also that Spotify: Off removed a small coloration which then seemed to prefer Digital 4: on again after I turned Spotify off.

I use Tidal and not Qobuz for mine are reversed from Cohen’s of neccessity.

I will occasionally revisit these as they are ‘there’ to be tried and can be turned on/off as the music is playing to confirm what is happening and to choose what I prefer.

DB.

2 Likes

With the new naim focal app I’m unable to turn off Tidal or Spotify. I only use Qobuz NAS & Radio.

G

If I’m understandng your issue, it’s worth noting that Naim have split out the “login-based” services from the other inputs. So if you choose “Services and Accounts”, then click on the relevant service you should get the option to disable it.
If that’s not what you mean, then sorry for wasting your time.

3 Likes

Thanks! That just worked for me. I also don’t use Spotify but maybe Tidal again in the near future

2 Likes

Brilliant! Many thanks @Eoink as I like a tidy desktop!

G

1 Like

Still can’t find an update on my 333 :sob:

Typically having seen DB’s suggestions I tried to replicate as far as possible on a different device.

Problem was I forgot to make a note of the settings I had before tinkering!

2 Likes

Assuming you had them set to default before “dinkering” it would mean all set to ON basically. An easy little experiment just to squeeze out the best sound for our individual taste .

1 Like