Has anyone tried Sorbothane hemispheres under streamers or amps?

Hi Mike

Looking at your ‘cabinet’ I am wondering what ‘feet’ that has (if any), and did you try any experiments when first setting it all up?

1 Like

It’s a TV cabinet and has small rubber pad floor protectors:

[quote=“GeoffC, post:63, topic:5210”]
did you try any experiments when first setting it all up
[/quote]

Not particularly, I’ve just gone with the glass shelves and clear rubber domes under them. Not wanting a Fraim (way over priced and not suitable in the lounge) so just thinking about the Orea biscuits as a cost effective option.

Have you thought about using custard creams? The three layer construction might add something.

I prefer Oreo tiramisu

1 Like

Sorry to hear that the fraim doesn’t work as a design for you. An all black fraim would actually take up less room than the unit you have used for the 4 boxes. It would very likely sound better too, but it’s your room and your choice, of course. Personally I think it is a good long term investment that best meets the requirements of naim equipment, though there are some other options that also work well.

2 Likes

I do actually quite like the design. It just doesn’t work for our living arrangements at this point in time. Hence looking at any refinements that are worth exploring.

1 Like

Hifi racks UK?

Yes I have. No difference detected.

2 Likes

Hi all.

The Orea are not a strong investment, they are really a not brain. In that configuration “all wood”, I would try them without hesitation, the necessary ones between the furniture and the glass, leaving the Naim boxes on the glass with their standard feet; to consider adding the weight of each box and that of the glass itself (which I imagine will add up to the order of about 4 Kgs). Consequently, I think you would solve with 3 Indigo for the SN2 and 4 Bronze for the NDX2. Given their cost, I would also consider their location under the PSU’s crystals; I think these would benefit greatly from isolation.

They really work surprisingly well, they’re quite an invention. In fact, as I think some of you know, I have finally completed my system with the MF Nu-Vista 600, a sublime but tremendous integrated amplifier that I can no longer accommodate in the standard furniture, so it has forced me to order a suitable rack (Norstone Spider), in which, despite its anti-vibration system, I will house all the boxes with suitable Isoacoustics (Gaia III for the integrated , Indigo for the NDX2 with glass, and Bronze for the NAD CD also with glass). I’ll upload update pics to the “System Pics” thread when I have everything on site, because for now, waiting for the rack to proceed with the final installation…

Cheers.

1 Like

@JimDog Prompted by your thread I’ve dug out four sorbothane hemispheres from the gubbins box, and put them under each corner of my NAC which sits on the top of an Isoblue rack…

1 Like

I’d be interested to know if they make an audible difference.

Thanks @newcomer. I had thought of them between the glass and the underside of the Naim chassis, though your option would look nicer I think. I take you have tried them?

My initial response is that the tone of speech radio on FM is a bit brighter. It’s marginally more detailed. One might think that a good thing for an audiophile but I’m missing what I feel is the natural warmth of the voices.

1 Like

Brighter in my experience is often used as a negative in hifi descriptions, but it can cut either way depending on context.

Hi Jim,
Sorbothane feet under a perspex platform (search for SRM/Tech on the internet) under the Moon phono stage were wholly beneficial in our system. The equivalent platform under a NAC52 made music flat, dull & lifeless.

So we have one SRM/Tech platform under the phono stage and another under DAVE but none anywhere near Naim boxes.

Hope this helps, BF

1 Like

Yes, of course, both directly on the black boxes and under the glass supporting them.

In my configuration, the result is better under the glasses, with the black boxes standard feet directly on the glass; probably because adjusting the load to the tolerance of the biscuits is key, and the measured weight of the bare SN and NDX2 make it more complicated than considering the additional load of the glasses. In addition, in the SN2 much better results than in the SN3, since they soften the sharp edges a little without subtracting its characteristic sound signature (the SN3 already has a much softer sound signature and the effect is not so significant).

Additionally, i would consider their use under the Totem, either in the Gaia version if the speakers support thread, or in the Orea version if they could not be threaded. On the K6 I have the Gaia II, and the difference is very important, practically as an MKII version of the speakers.

Cheers.

2 Likes

I’ve pulled them out. I think the music is more of a cohesive whole without them. I bought into Naim partly to get away from this tweaky stuff!

1 Like

That’s nice :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.