Has my sister's red light Nait blown up?

Untrained eye here, but one of the output transistors isn’t the same color as the others…

2 Likes

Agreed. No.2 (from the left) does look… different.

Might be a relatively easy fix, at Naim…? Not sure about Class A, for this.

1 Like

Not saying that you pay for it now… Just maybe agree to pay - or ‘help’ pay - at a future date…?

I wonder whether @NeilS or @Darran can spot anything possibly awry here…

2 Likes

Nothing obvious. If the output stage had failed then normally you would see discoloured resistors.
Unserviced and of that age it is hard to say without a closer inspection. First thing to check would be dc on the output sockets. Too good to sell for spares, these amps are an easy sell for a good price… Far more than £95.00 :grinning:

4 Likes

Agree with Darran, it’s definitely worth spending a bit to get it fixed & serviced.
My guess is a failed input pair transistor.

Regards
Neil.

3 Likes

Sounds like a case of ‘invest a little, gain a lot’ :grinning:

Thanks again all. The main thing my sister and I have learned is not to turn it on again until it has been looked at. It’s probably going to be a while til that happens but thank you.

1 Like

Jane has now “embraced her inner geek” and is researching servicing of Naits 1 and 2 on the net.

(On the plus side, if she didn’t before, she may now know that she owns a Naim icon.)

1 Like

I would recommend to her that she go straight to Darran at Class A. She’ll then be sure it has been serviced with proper Naim selected and tested parts.

5 Likes

Richard, you must think I haven’t done the same!!

1 Like

Are were talking Horses - and Water - here…?

:horse:

Do nothing until she can afford to do it properly. Other than that I’ll give her the 95 quid she paid for it. :grinning:

2 Likes

Chris, for the sake of a poorly little NAIT you may need to make an intervention…

Are you already member of the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Amplifiers a.k.a RSPCA?

1 Like

For her own reasons that I entirely understand, I think she will probably go for bluetooth speaker.

It’s not what many of us would do but I get it.

Perhaps you should take it into your care for a while Chris - just incase your Sister changes her mind…

Sorry James, it’s not going to happen. It’s hers to do what she wants with.

1 Like

I had a long chat with my daughter (24) about her wanting a turntable. Her vinyl collection consists of all of Adele’s plus Red Hot Chillis - By the way. It is not likely to grow huge. She wants one like my X-Pack Acrylic but we eventually agreed that the best bet was an Aiwa BT auto turntable played thru her smart speaker (or even air buds). It will do everything she needs for the short/medium term, is cheap and looks nice. I must admit I have surprised myself.

1 Like

Update:

My sister is not a Naim afficionado. She just wants a working amp. Something that very much disinclines her to have her Nait serviced is the NACA4 which she hates. She asks if there are other cables which have the same capacitance and inductance as NACA4 but which go round corners etc.?

I said I didn’t know but I thought Kudos and Witch Hat, maybe? Are these suitable or is it only NACA4 or NACA5 for an early Nait? I have no idea, I’m not interested in cables. The answer is probably available on a search but I am hoping someone could give a quick, straightforward, non-techy answer on this thread. Thanks.

Help me to help her please guys.