Has my sister's red light Nait blown up?

Ah, I have just seen the Kudos and Witch Hat prices…

1 Like

We also discussed Linn LK20. I said I thought this was electrically similar to NACA4 but more flexible, as well as relatively cheap. Is any of this true?

Linn K20 is very similar to A4, so if she won’t accept A4 I guess it’s not going to be on her shortlist. WitchHat N2 is pretty reasonable compared to most. Also don’t forget Chord, maybe Rumour or Clearway if you want cheap(ish) and they are round, so they will go round corners too!

1 Like

Same cable different colour.

1 Like

Thanks @ChrisSU and @Skeptikal. Just one (hopefully) last thing before I pass on your ideas, is 2 x 3.5m or more, still relevant for the cables mentioned? Thanks.

I have an old copy of Naim recommended specs and it says no less than 3 metres thats what I use here on my Supernait 3 Kudos KS- 1
Hope this helps.

Thanks, that’s great. Will pass that on.

C.

1 Like

The 3.5m minimum (and the 5 to 10m optimum) was for NACA5. With other cables it will be different, and it’s likely that the requirement in order to get the inductance and capacitance levels a Naim amp likes you would need a longer cable.

1 Like

Details of Witch Hat N2 and Chord Rumour X passed on. I have suggested that when she makes a choice she should ask the cable manufacturer to cut a length electrically equivalent to at least 3.5m of NAC A4.

Thanks all.

Good enough for me. :thinking:

1 Like

Passed on, thanks.

Chris, I see that the old Cable Talk 3 speaker cable has been resurrected as Talk 6. It’s of dumbbell construction, roughly similar to NACA4, LK20 etc. but claims to have a more flexible insulation. Cheap too…

2 Likes

Ah, thanks Richard. Another for me to pass on to my sis!

In truth, what amazes me, so many months after the original incident, is that only now have the speaker wires suddenly become such a deal breaker on the whole ‘shall I get the Nait serviced or not?’ issue!

If the speaker cables are such an issue then she would probably be fine with something like Chord Leyline provided she doesn’t go too short with it.

1 Like

For testing, maybe get cheap speakers from a local charity or thrift shop? Imagine investing a few pounds for peace of mind would be worth it?

Van Den Hull Clearwater should be very close.

1 Like

I would have thought that anyone who wasn’t prepared to accept NACA4 or LK20 would also reject Cable Talk as they all have a similar ‘shotgun’ construction. While they are more flexible than A5, the fact that they will only bend in one direction will always make them more difficult to dress than a flexible, round cable like Chord.

1 Like

Have I missed something. She hasn’t the money to spend on servicing but is willing go spend on ridiculously expensive speaker cable for an amp that isn’t working? Get it fixed, use the cable she has or buy some 79 strand copper.

1 Like

You’re right it’s getting messy.
They should fix the amp before they connect anything. :thinking:

I needed a long length of cheapish speaker cable for a centre channel speaker and ordered this stuff a while ago. I couldn’t believe how incredibly flexible and nice it is to handle - the nicest most flexible speaker cable I have ever come across and came beautifully terminated:

Fisual-S-Flex-Studio-Grade-White-Speaker-Cable-2-x-4mm

What’s more it sounds pretty darned good too and is cheap. They also do a thinner gauge version which is cheaper again…

I’m not using it on any naim amps though but on my Pioneer AV amp so given the electrical requirements of Naim aren’t totally standard I would enquire as to the electrical characteristics of it with the retailer if I were you. Given money is tight though I thought I would chip in.

JonathanG

1 Like

I use this and it is fine for my use, and cheap.
However my recomendation means nothing, decide for yourselves…

I use Van Damme (or Klotz) for interconnects (though I have the Chord connections for the Naim amp, and soldered BNC plugs to the tonearm cable for connection to the NAC62).

I do not have money for fancy cables…